Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Astro 4L60 drives only in high gear. I need answer FAST.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 04:10 PM
FVM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Astro 4L60 drives only in high gear. I need answer FAST.

1993 Astro 4L60, mileage=120K. Select "OD" - "D" - 3rd, it starts off from stop in 3rd only, does not shift up/down. If I drop it manualy to 1 or 2 it drives in 2nd only & will not shift up/down. Reverse is OK. Replaced the ECM, no change. Converter switch (at brake pedal) is working correctly. Replaced the trans due to clutch slipping with a known working 1994 4L60 & still no change. What else... There's only 3 connections to this trans, 1. Column shift lickage. 2. Speedo to tailshaft. 3. 2 pronged wire on right side. Went to 3 GM dealers, no one can help unless the Trans is torn down. AAMCO has no clue, without teardown. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP fvm(at)usa.com - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - Looked into this today, it has 12v to the trans via PinkWire. Pulled the female connector off the trans to check voltage "in the pin" it has 12v. Now what else could be the problem? Also "IF" it's possible to route around the ECM? Push button shifting as in the Dodge late 50's & early 60's.

Last edited by FVM; 11-18-2004 at 06:28 AM. Reason: added
Old 11-16-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it has a fused marked trans in the fuse box. Normally if the fuse is bad though you will have second gear only and no high. Check for 12v at the electrical connector at the trans on the pink wire with the key on.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Cool No shift.....failsafe

Originally Posted by FVM
1993 Astro 4L60, mileage=120K. Select "OD" - "D" - 3rd, it starts off from stop in 4th only, does not upshift. If I drop it manualy to 1 or 2 it drives in 2nd only & will not upshift. Reverse is OK. Replaced the ECM, no change. Converter switch (at brake pedal) is working correctly. Replaced the trans due to clutch slipping with a known working 1994 4L60 & still no change. What else... There's only 3 connections to this trans, 1. Column shift lickage. 2. Speedo to tailshaft. 3. 2 pronged wire on right side. Went to 3 GM dealers, no one can help unless the Trans is torn down. AAMCO has no clue, without teardown. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP fvm(at)usa.com
Hi FVM,
Most of the time this problem is caused by no power getting to the transmission, the power is supplied through the ignition switch and when a part of the switch goes bad the transmission gets no 12V power to the pink wire a main trans connecter passenger side of transmission. When this happens the transmission starts out in 3rd, has reverse but no automatic shifting, this is a very common problem. If you need any help give me a call, hope this helps, Matt Jones #940-594-6005
Old 11-17-2004, 01:54 PM
FVM
Teching In

Default Pink wire?

Originally Posted by FVM
1993 Astro 4L60, mileage=120K. Select "OD" - "D" - 3rd, it starts off from stop in 4th only, does not upshift. If I drop it manualy to 1 or 2 it drives in 2nd only & will not upshift. Reverse is OK. Replaced the ECM, no change. Converter switch (at brake pedal) is working correctly. Replaced the trans due to clutch slipping with a known working 1994 4L60 & still no change. What else... There's only 3 connections to this trans, 1. Column shift lickage. 2. Speedo to tailshaft. 3. 2 pronged wire on right side. Went to 3 GM dealers, no one can help unless the Trans is torn down. AAMCO has no clue, without teardown. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP fvm(at)usa.com
- - - - - - - - - - - Looked into this today, it has 12v to the trans via PinkWire. Pulled the female connector off the trans to check voltage "in the pin" it has 12v. Now what else could be the problem?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fuse.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Since the trans has power you need someone with a tech 2. There is something goofy the question is what.But I guess we all figured that out all ready. Onto your trouble. If the computer has a loose or dirty ground then it cannot send a clean ground to actuate the shift solenoids in the trans. There are two grounds I think located on or near the thermostat housing. Check and clean them regardless of how they look. Then pull the dog house off and there are two grounds located on the cylinder heads at the back follow the same pattern here. After this has been done use a tech two and see if you can electrically shift the trans and it should react accordingly. If it does not see if you can hear the solenoids turn on and off as you actuate them. Since you changed the trans though it sounds as though the problem is definitely external. Youmentioned that the computer was changed. Is the service number of the new one identical to the old one. It is also possible that the prom could be inserted a hair off causing problems although doubtful. It would also cause odd driveability issues and a check engine light. Will it store codes such as a 1-2 shift error or 2-3 shift error or may be listed as ratio change. If these codes are present that means the computer is commanding a gear change but it is not seeing the shift occur so it then sets the code.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:08 AM
FVM
Teching In

Default Codes showed up, finally.

Originally Posted by ROCK ON MATT
Hi FVM,
Most of the time this problem is caused by no power getting to the transmission, the power is supplied through the ignition switch and when a part of the switch goes bad the transmission gets no 12V power to the pink wire a main trans connecter passenger side of transmission. When this happens the transmission starts out in 3rd, has reverse but no automatic shifting, this is a very common problem. If you need any help give me a call, hope this helps, Matt Jones #940-594-6005
=================
Codes 59 - 67 - 81 - 82. Looks as though pink wires are the culprit, (unless U know different) . Won't know till Saturday, time is tight.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll look them up after work. If you have a fax #pm me and I'll send you a trouble tree for the DTC along with schematics. later chris
Old 11-24-2004, 09:59 PM
FVM
Teching In

Default no fax but...

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
I'll look them up after work. If you have a fax #pm me and I'll send you a trouble tree for the DTC along with schematics. later chris
========
Email it to floydmyers@hotmail.com
Old 12-28-2004, 10:49 AM
FVM
Teching In

Default hey MATT

Originally Posted by ROCK ON MATT
Hi FVM,
=================
OK, "finally" had time off over the Xmas to look at this problem. Tested the trans connector wires. Only solid color wires=PINK1 - PINK(darker)2 - BROWN - GREEN - PURPLE - BLACK wire=nonexsistant? DOUBLEchecked colors (wiped clean) no BLACK. Is this the new standard for electronic trans? If so the world is coming to an and early. One "ElectroStatic Charge" from the Sun & POOF, all is dead. (Elmer Fudd) "Gettwing verwy verwy fwustwaited". <b>fvm@usa.com

Last edited by FVM; 12-28-2004 at 11:35 AM. Reason: add info
Old 12-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Banned

Default hey

Okay getting codes 59,67,82,81...tells us alot .....this tells us the computer is sending command,it could be high or low voltage being picked up buy the computer...sounds corny I know! But clean your battrey connections and check to make sure you battrey voltage is within spec's...If the computer sees high/low voltage for 2 seconds it'll set codes 82,81,67 hope this helps .......Dave

Quick Reply: 1993 Astro 4L60 drives only in high gear. I need answer FAST.