Sponsored by:

Strange noise form gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise form gears

Hello all,

I just bought an 02 Trans am A4 and I am new to this stuff. I am trying to learn as much as I can about this awesome car. I have been listening to the vehicle very closely for any problems. The only noise I hear that I don't know is normal or not is coming from what I guess is the transmission. When I am coasting at about 1-30 mph and step back on the gas, it makes a "clunk" noise as the car goes back into 1st gear. It seems like it jumps into first gear and gives you a little bit of a jerk. Is this normal or should I have it looked at?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 12-06-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car isn't going into first gear when coasting above 10 - 15 mph unless you are getting deep into the throttle. Some automatics hesitate for a split second and then shift hard if you are coasting then hammer the gas. However, if this happening at a light throttle, you may have something up.

The first thing to check is to make sure your fluid level is good and clear. If you have a lot of miles, you might also consider having the fluid and filter changed too.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
The car isn't going into first gear when coasting above 10 - 15 mph unless you are getting deep into the throttle. Some automatics hesitate for a split second and then shift hard if you are coasting then hammer the gas. However, if this happening at a light throttle, you may have something up.

The first thing to check is to make sure your fluid level is good and clear. If you have a lot of miles, you might also consider having the fluid and filter changed too.

The car does have a slight leak in the transmission which will be fixed soon. Is this the porblem? It is happening at mid throttle around that speed range of 10-15mph. What da y a think?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Is it only when it shifts? My guess would be a tranny mount, but that gives more of a bang sound.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GT Griller
Is it only when it shifts? My guess would be a tranny mount, but that gives more of a bang sound.

Yes it is only when it shifts. It is only when you are doing under 20 mph i guess. It is not loud at all but it just weird to me. The car only has 22k on it and is still under warranty.