Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So is my transmission gone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy So is my transmission gone?

I think so. I took my car to the track for the first time last Saturday. My first pass I was racing a Camaro SS. I jumped him .6 seconds out of the hole, and thought I was off and running, but I didn't seem to be hooking up at all. He finally passed me at the 8th. I was still burning rubber at 64MPH. Turns out I broke the posi on the launch and that caused the carrier bearing to go south as well.

So I had my car hauled on a flatbed to Don Lee Auto outside of LA. That was a Saturday night. They upgraded the posi to an Eaton, put in a new carrier bearing, and they also turned the rear rotors and put in new brake pads. I drove the car to work Tuesday morning.

Today is Wednesday. I was going to work this morning when I began to notice my transmission slipping a little. It was barely noticeable, but it was there. It was like the shift firmness settings had been removed. Coming home from work, the car kind of stumbled when it shifted, and I think that might be because it's shifting to 4th or something, and it makes it seem like it's not running on all pistons. Then it got worse. I was driving the last mile or so to my place, and it was difficult to accelerate. It felt very much like the tranny was slipping. I pulled into my driveway, and found reverse was gone. Put it into R and nothing happens. As a matter of fact, put it into any gear and nothing happens. I turned off my car and let it sit for a couple of minutes and started it up. Now I could put it into reverse, so I put it in my garage.

The transmission fluid is brown. To me that indicates I glazed some clutch plates, probably 2-3, or something like that, but I'm no mechanic.

I think my transmission is gone. What do you guys think, and since 4L60E transmissions can kiss my ***, what should I get?

**EDIT** Reading the TH400 FAQ thread.

Last edited by BeachZ; 12-09-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the fluid? They had the driveshaft out, maybe some came out.
You didn't get the work done at the dealer did you? (my '02 is still under warranty), if so they probably did take the tune out.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Did you check the fluid? They had the driveshaft out, maybe some came out.
You didn't get the work done at the dealer did you? (my '02 is still under warranty), if so they probably did take the tune out.
Yes, I checked the fluid. That's how I noticed it was brown.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't drive it anymore! I have had a few 4L60Es go out on me, and by your post it is exactly what happened on my last trans failure. What kind of converter are you using, if it is not stock? I would into having it rebuilt or replaced. I did a couple of rebuilds on my first two, they all failed. I just got tired of it all and purchased a certified 4L60E from GM, it has a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Then again my SS is going back to stock.

PS: You know, you could have towed it to Strictly Performance in Reseda ... they are a lot closer to Bakersfield than Rancho Cucamonga is.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Don't drive it anymore! I have had a few 4L60Es go out on me, and by your post it is exactly what happened on my last trans failure. What kind of converter are you using, if it is not stock? I would into having it rebuilt or replaced. I did a couple of rebuilds on my first two, they all failed. I just got tired of it all and purchased a certified 4L60E from GM, it has a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Then again my SS is going back to stock.

PS: You know, you could have towed it to Strictly Performance in Reseda ... they are a lot closer to Bakersfield than Rancho Cucamonga is.
Thanks, George,

I broke everything Saturday at Famosa. I think I'm going to go with a TH300 tranny. What would happen if I tried to drive it to Reseda or Cucamonga from Hermosa Beach? Do you think I could make it? My converter is a MW 3000 2.5str.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wouldn't, you might get stranded. My trans started locking when coming out of stops, it felt like I was in park and then at 1200 rpms ... BANG ... into gear I went. Chances are your converter is possibly contaminated from the trans debris. I may be able to help, PM me your number where I can reach you.

A TH300? Or do you mean a TH350 or TH400? I don't think I know those transmissions.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 12secSS
A TH300? Or do you mean a TH350 or TH400? I don't think I know those transmissions.
Yeah, I meant TH400, but I dunno about losing OD, and I don't have the dough to fork out $2000 plus for that add-on overdrive thing.

PM sent.