Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Transmission and Transfer Case Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A Transmission and Transfer Case Question

What do I need to bolt a 4L80-E onto a Chevrolet 454 (like the one out of a Silverado SS 454)? Has anybody done this? Also, what would I need to take the current Silverado SS AWD Transfer Case and bolt it up to a 4L80-E?

I plan to put this into a 88-98 Silverado 4X4 RCSB.

I'm thinking about lowering this a little, some engine work (cam, forged rotating group, ect), a little spray, and maybe a whipple twin screw!

I think that would be pretty nice!
Old 12-12-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

A 4l80 will bolt directly to a 454 its gm, execpt for the ls1 they all use the same bell housing. You just have to change the flywheel to an auto trans for a 454. You also have to be sure that the flywheel is for the late 91 up 454's if your engine has a one piece rear main. The all wheel drive throws a wrench into it though. I have tinkered extensively with the np 241 which the older truck will already have, and the newer electric shift 243c. The 243c is not an auto trac case it just has 2wd 4 hi and 4lo. The case is different in the silverado ss it is a fulltime awd it could be made to work with some engineering on the electronics end of it. It would fit up though with the change of the input shaft. The auto trac case that was available in the older body style escalades and denalis is probably going to be about the same amount of work with the trouble being the electronics to control all of it. The auto trac case out of the older yukons and escalades would be the best bet because you can rob all of the elcontronics and wiring from a vehicle that is more or less the same architecture and make the transplant. This is the same case that a late model z71 uses. In order to mate either of these to the 4l80 if they are out of 4l60, you have to change the input shaft of the transfer case to the correct one for the 4l80. So you can order the input shaft for a 3/4 or 1 ton with the electric shift case but non auto-trac. THe auto-trac case is not available in 3'4 or 1 tons but if you desire to use the autotrac case a 4l80 input shaft from an np243c or 241 will fit into the auto trac transfer case.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
A 4l80 will bolt directly to a 454 its gm, execpt for the ls1 they all use the same bell housing. You just have to change the flywheel to an auto trans for a 454. You also have to be sure that the flywheel is for the late 91 up 454's if your engine has a one piece rear main. The all wheel drive throws a wrench into it though. I have tinkered extensively with the np 241 which the older truck will already have, and the newer electric shift 243c. The 243c is not an auto trac case it just has 2wd 4 hi and 4lo. The case is different in the silverado ss it is a fulltime awd it could be made to work with some engineering on the electronics end of it. It would fit up though with the change of the input shaft. The auto trac case that was available in the older body style escalades and denalis is probably going to be about the same amount of work with the trouble being the electronics to control all of it. The auto trac case out of the older yukons and escalades would be the best bet because you can rob all of the elcontronics and wiring from a vehicle that is more or less the same architecture and make the transplant. This is the same case that a late model z71 uses. In order to mate either of these to the 4l80 if they are out of 4l60, you have to change the input shaft of the transfer case to the correct one for the 4l80. So you can order the input shaft for a 3/4 or 1 ton with the electric shift case but non auto-trac. THe auto-trac case is not available in 3'4 or 1 tons but if you desire to use the autotrac case a 4l80 input shaft from an np243c or 241 will fit into the auto trac transfer case.
Damn!!!! Thanks a lot!!!