Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is a reverse manual valve body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a reverse manual valve body?

what is it and what does it do?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

D= 1st gear
3= 2nd gear
2= 3rd gear

manual valve body means you have to shift it, you can't just leave it in "D" or "3".

the reverse part means you shift from front to back rather than from back to front.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, you just shift down to go up a gear and to go down a gear you shift up..
Old 01-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason these are around is not just so you have to move the shifter yourself and change the direction you move it.
A manual vb has shorter fluid paths for lack of a better explanation. In other words the fluid doesn't have to go through shift valves and accumulators to get to the clutch apply areas. Some manual vb's just have a manual valve (the one connected to the shift cable) and thats it, no other valves that move, no shift valve springs, etc.

The reason the shift pattern is reversed is because these were invented before ratchet shifters, so you would not be in risk of missing third and going into neutral or reverse.
I don't know why they are still around.
I personally think it feels more natural to move the shifter to the back when shifting during a race since the g forces of accelerating are pushing things rearward anyway.
Maybe thats why they're still around in reverse pattern. I use one in a th400.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default manual vb

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
The reason these are around is not just so you have to move the shifter yourself and change the direction you move it.
A manual vb has shorter fluid paths for lack of a better explanation. In other words the fluid doesn't have to go through shift valves and accumulators to get to the clutch apply areas. Some manual vb's just have a manual valve (the one connected to the shift cable) and thats it, no other valves that move, no shift valve springs, etc.

The reason the shift pattern is reversed is because these were invented before ratchet shifters, so you would not be in risk of missing third and going into neutral or reverse.
I don't know why they are still around.
I personally think it feels more natural to move the shifter to the back when shifting during a race since the g forces of accelerating are pushing things rearward anyway.
Maybe thats why they're still around in reverse pattern. I use one in a th400.
a little addition, line pressure is carried by the manual valve from netural to the forward clutches, first gear. the next click moves line pressure to the second gear passage. the last click, in a stocker would be low, brings line pressure the the third gear passage. that's the reason it is reversed. l hope that was helpful
Old 01-09-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

tanx for the info guys looks like i'll be getting it for my nova