Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EL60E troubles, anyone can tell me what to look for when troubleshooting?

Old 01-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EL60E troubles, anyone can tell me what to look for when troubleshooting?

I posted my headace before, didnt get much help. I have a 1997 yukon, I was on a patch of Ice, I gave it gas to get moving, it slid a bit and I hit the break and when I went to gas it again it wouldnt move, I have reverse fine but no forward, some say it can be electrical others say it sounds like I broke the sprag. I noticed when I went to look for another trans, theres a lot to look for with a yukon because of the options that year came with. I dont want to get a junk one and have trouble putting it in. I did notice when I looked under there that theirs a leak and the fluid was about a quart low so I filled it but it still wont move. I have learned that you can tell a el60e from a el80e by the bolts on the pan, (16 is a el60e and 17 is a el80e) just thought I would pass that on. but removable bell housing cover or not, how many prongs is in the pig tale, is the one your getting for a 4x4 or not, does it have safe nutral or not, does it have rod or cable kick down. dam, how can you know if you will have trouble putting the right one in before you by or before you start a project like this. I was told if you have some mcanical skills its not that hard to put in, after what I read about rebuilding it scares me to even try, (not that I dont think I can, its just that all the reading I have done isnt clear on this) where could I get a book on rebuilding, I might want to try, I love fixing cars and would love to give it a shot but cant seem to get stright answers to nothing or how to go about it. Anyone who is willing to help me can call me at 508-858-9003 or 443-629-2128 any help would be apreciated. Jonathan
Old 01-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted my headace before, didnt get much help.
Thanks!
Are you looking for a psychic?
I know whats wrong with it. Something inside is broken and it needs to be taken apart and fixed. Whats broken? Who knows. It's not going to fix itself, you either need to do it yourself or hire a shop to do it for you. It's not going to fix itself. You're not going to drop the pan and find a note that says whats wrong.
'97 Yukon trans HUH? Nothing special.
is the one your getting for a 4x4 or not
lets see a transfer case or very short output shaft with no tail housing would be a 4x4.
does it have safe nutral or not
yea, in the switch on the side of the trans by the manual shaft. If a junkyard trans has the short shaft with no switch you can swap the shaft out and install a switch on it.
does it have rod or cable kick down
Don't buy from whoever asked you this....it has neither.
Read and think.

Last edited by jxaxsxoxn; 01-19-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks for? Him, I will have to think, oooooooohhhh I got, for the Info that some very nice people already called me and walked me threw in two mins, but am not ungreatful, thanks anyways. Oh and by the way there was a note in the pan, it was a bunch of peaces of metal and some little peace that looked like plastic, so that told me alot, the note said, "now that you opened me and confirmed Im broke you can now figure out if you want to try and fix me or junk the truck and get a new one"!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get the point though. The answer is not here it's in the transmission.
And no 4L60E is so far off you can't easily adapt it to your truck.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Teching In

hey jxaxsxoxn, I know theirs lots of people here who know so much more about trans issues than me and if my questions seem stupid, its because of my lack of understanding trans. But I learn fast and this form should also want to help those of us who are not all that smart. I love to help people learn, thats the gift of understanding, when I learn something I dont treat people like there stupid cause I know something they dont, I try and help them cause the gift is not those who know but those willing to help people less furtunate. I fix electronics and love showing people who dont know, I love what I do and love to pass it on, thats the gift, its not in knowing and talkin down to people. But I do know in your own way you was trying to help some how. Hey anyways, I learned a little, been doing a lot of reading and want to try and put it in myself. I found out that my best bet in the local GM dealer for a rebuilt, I dont have a lot of money, I have 4 kids, (whew, glad wife tied tubes) lol. The GM Dealer is giving me the best deal, 1500 with 350 core charge, hes 1 mile from my house and with new converter. Also giving a 3 year, 50,000 mile warranty, so I figured, if anything when wrong hes only a mile away to return it and the warranties the best I heard for anything, now I want to drop the old one, it will take 2 days to get the new one. I was told that I should install a cooler because of the small peaces of metal could get stuck in the cooling system even if I flushed and later cause me more troubles, if you have any tips on doing this and dropping the old putting in the new and what kind I should use I still am humble, (smile) any help from any of you guys would be loved. Thanks for you time. Have a great day!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EL60E troubles, anyone can tell me what to look for when troubleshooting?