Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 04:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shifter questions

hello all,,just tonight i started my b+m hammer shifter install..i havent yet decided if i want to stay with my auto console or switch to the m6..that is small potatoes right now though since i have both sitting in my garage to use at my discretion.. It looks to me as thought the hammer shifter is damn near the exact same size as the stock shifter...i think if i can get the stock shifter out..it would go in there and probably line right up..mind u i will have to maybee raise or lower it or use some washers on one side of the other..now i am talking about just removing the shifter mechanism itsself from the metal bracket that holds it in there..it looks to be held on by a rivet in the front and one in the back,,then it looks like some pins that hold it from the side of the bracket..has anyone ever taken one out without removing the whole metal plate assembly that is bolted to the car? i would like to use my stock shifter cable since it looks like it will line right up.. i searched and really couldnt find what i was looking for in regards to the other things.. the big black solenoid with the rod (center of the three cables) is obviously the brake lockout then obviosuly the shifer cable itself..My question is what is the third cable? i know it locks the shifter in place until you turn on the ignition..BUT what is the cable connected to a solenoid under the dash or something? can i just remove this cable as well as the brake switch and have no consequences as far as ses lights or such? im sorry i have no previous exp with the auto's and these cables,harnesses 'etc.. all i am going by is what i just did about 10 minutes ago when i took the top of the console off and started looking around in there. anyone have any instructions on how to wire up thel elecirical side of it? i have the micro swithces that came with the shifter..im guessing that the factory swithces are located in the black box that sits on the side of the factory shifter? i found out about the wires if it was orignally a m6 but couldnt get an answer in regards to the a4 setup..sorry so long any help?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt for me
Old 01-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the b&m would replace it fine you wouldnt have to really do much at all give it a try u will see
Old 01-24-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do i get this metal bracket out that holds the shifter? i have took out two bolts in the middle directly next to the shifter,one bolt that bolts to the console.. and 1 up front..is ther more bolts holding it down...as in im gonna have to take the console out? i didnt really want to take it out since i have access to the area i need to get to, i just cant get the damn bracket out..i was going to take the bracket out., take the stock shifter off of it and put the hammer on the stock bracket and put it back in place..instead of having to make a plate..i think it will fit if i could get it out of the car and then figure out how to get the stock shifter off it..think its rivited or something..
matt