Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th-400 adapter spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default th-400 adapter spacer question

i baught the spacer from GM that bolts to the flexplate so the converter hub will slide in. problem is, im not sure which way the spacer is supposed to go. there is a raised side on one side, and the other is flat. when the raised side is towards the flexplate, it fits snug in the hole. but the hole is too big for the converter hub and has 1/4 inch of slop. If i turn it around, nothing will center the spacer to the flexplate but the bolts, and the converter fits in good but sits 1/8" off the flexplate where the bolts line up.

is the raised part of the spacer supposed to go towards the flexplate and fit in the hole (im thinking this way, but hard to say.) or the other way around?

and since the hole is bigger than my converter hub, can i just machine a small sleeve so it fits tight?

anyone else have this prob?? or have to do the same?

I have a TCI SSF from a SBC/BBC on my TH-400. its not for an LS1 but im trying to get it to adapt.

thanks.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i just went out and looked at the crank, i guess it only goes on one way. But now my converter will need 1/8 spacers between the conv. and the flexplate.
if its too tight i'll just have to machine it down some i guess.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:46 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use a thick ARP type washer between the converter and the flexplate. That will make up the gap. If you cannot find a thick washer, order them from http://www.mcmaster.com. They definitely have them.