Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wonder who is really responding to post here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wonder who is really responding to post here?

I have posted some threads asking for some advice on simple things that most anyone could or would be glad to answer but got nothing, but when I posted looking for a trans their was a bunch, got calls from all over the country. I wonder if this site is mostly people lookin to get some biz going? Just wondering, I could be wrong.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering if your previous post were like this one... If so, then it is no wonder you didn't get any responces....hmmm...I wonder...

Last edited by Steve H.; 02-01-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Its all good, theirs some nice people hear, not everyone is like a hoe for sale.
LOL, pretending to be just a avg. joe but is really trying to drum up some biz for a shop! How low can you go, I guess just like a hoe, anything for a buck!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ManWithTroubles
Its all good, theirs some nice people hear, not everyone is like a hoe for sale.
LOL, pretending to be just a avg. joe but is really trying to drum up some biz for a shop! How low can you go, I guess just like a hoe, anything for a buck!
Sounds like thats a shot at me.
I don't have all the answers. I tried calling your two phone numbers and got no answer.
If I can't help I'm not going to pretend that I can.
It sounds to me like you're looking for a step by step guide to changing your transmission. Not to be a smart *** but buy a book.
I can offer no tips, I've never taken the trans out of a truck like yours.I'm sure I could but how can I offer advice having never done it.
Now what do you need help with. Post it right here so I can remember where to find it and tomorrow morning I'll look here and see if I can answer some of your SPECIFIC questions.
Remember this, this is a free forum. I get paid nothing for what ever you call it that I do here. To be honest I'm not even sure people use the advice I give.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did and i appreciate it....
matt
Old 02-02-2005, 06:18 AM
Teching In

Sounds like thats a shot at me.????? Not true jay, I have gotten some answers from you and I thank you for them, as for calling me, I was stuck under the truck and didint hear the phone. as for the questions I should have asked was, I was specific with questions on another post and got no answers, they were, I bought the book, the book says to mark where the old converter was so when I put it back in I know where it goes, but I put in a rebuilt, so the marking dont matter. So the question was, how do I put the new one in knowing it is bolted to the fly wheel the right way, Got no answer, the other question was, theres some type of plastic lock on the trans line bolts that seem to lock to the nut, the new trans has these in them, now I was wondering is there a way I should use them? Like cut the line? or just use the old ones? I dont want to have to do this twice, I am so worried that I will put the trans back and go to start it and it will blow up, LOL The GM macanics told me I was crazy for doing this on my own, they said they wouldnt have tried it unless they was in a pro garage. When I told them what I did to get it out they were rolling on the floor. I cant believe the different sizes of metric and amercian size bolts this thing has, its crazy! I also had the most fun time just changing the oil pan, it had, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 13 mm sized bolts, just to get it out I had to lift the engine, remove starter, remove oil pump, which by the way had (7/8 and 13mm sized bolts) remove the stablizers for the trans bell housing and the trans fluid lines. That was just to change the oil pan gasket. SO you should Imagine what I went therw for the trans. Well Im going to try to put it all back today, (with just the book which is bref to say the least on my own) I have never even tried anything like this and my first is on a 4x4 I started with the hardest one to learn on, lol
Old 02-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Teching In

This was my post that had the questions, A quick question on trans install, first timer here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well Im about to put it in and had a few questions, First, theres new bolts in the rebuilt for the trannies fluid lines, am I going to cut the line and insert the tubing in the new bolts? secondly, how much trans fluid do I put in to start it up? It is shipped in neutral and I have the truck in neutal, so it should be set up right? Just install tv cable? And lastly, I was told to mark the spot where the old converter came but theres no marks on the new one, ls their a way to tell where I should set it up or will it be fine to just bolt it to the fly wheel at any point? I dont want to start it up and have it blow up, lol and lastly, should I leave it on the jack stands for first start up and shift it a bit, then shut it down, check for fluid level and top off? Hope I didnt miss anything, ohh wait, someone told me to put a filter on the return line, the top going into the cooler is recive and the the bottom is the send to trans, the filter gos on the send to trans line. Thanks for any help with this!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

maybe the reason that we dont answer questions about really simple things is because they have most likely been discussed multiple times and all you have to do is search for them!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Teching In

If they were that simple, it would take a second to answer them. thanks for being so informative, lol
Old 02-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Banned

Default Hey

Hey you post your questions and we try to help...I called you and never tried to sell you anything, I'd like to point out i spent my dime on the long distance call.We answer questions on this and several other boards and have never been warned by any moderators to stop.(because of non sponsor sales). Then you talk about being a hoe! You listen to everyone and anyone who comes along, no wonder your confused....tell you what.... call the dealer where you bought your tranny and see if they will help you..... This form is sponsored by some of the best minds in the business, and yes it is a sales tool for many top notch companys. You post your phone number for the world to see, then are critical of the responce you get. Your local gm dealer benifited from the sale of the transmission now you want us to help??? Who's the hoe??? I hope this helps ..... Dave
Old 02-02-2005, 01:19 PM
9 Second Club

Damn Dave...get off the net and build some more trannys! I am going to dyno again without boost falling off and see how much this Rock On 4l60e can take!! I already put 703rwhp and 770rwtq thru it......going to the track again on Saturday. 703 thru a 3800# car with 3.23 gears shows Dave knows wtf he is doing with the 4l60e in his hands. If he is giving you advice/help...take it!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok here is another suggestion:

Post one or two questions at a time. It is very hard to sit down and anwser 15 questions at once but I am more than willing to do one or two.

Second use the ENTER key every now an then. It makes your posts easier to read. I got a damn headache trying to reading that block of letters up there and didnt end up reading it all because it was frustrating. I am sure I am not alone.

Mike
Old 02-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Banned

See how much you've already figured out on your own? A lot.
Thats how I've been doing it since I've been working on cars and trucks. Learn by doing.
Lets see about some of those questions.
About marking the torque converter----I know why they tell you to do this but I see no use to. Now you've got a new converter with no marks----just align the bolts and bolt it up---thats all.
First, theres new bolts in the rebuilt for the trannies fluid lines, am I going to cut the line and insert the tubing in the new bolts?
I have no clue what that means.

secondly, how much trans fluid do I put in to start it up?
Buy a case and add one quart to the converter, If it's too late for that don't worry about it. Then add about 5 quarts to the trans. When you start it up add two or three more, then get inside and just run the gear selector through all the positions keeping it in each for about a minute or so.
Then check it on the stick, leave it about 1/4" from the full mark, take fluid and a funnel with you for the test drive.
As the fluid heats up the level should rise. But as you run it and a new trans fills with fluid the level on the stick will lower.
It is shipped in neutral and I have the truck in neutal, so it should be set up right?
What the hell........
Just install tv cable?
I thought you had a '97? You should have no TV cable.
should I leave it on the jack stands for first start up and shift it a bit
You can, I wouldn't. If you do apply the brakes to place a slight load on the drive wheels especially when you put it in park.
someone told me to put a filter on the return line
I wouldn't bother. I'd take some brake cleaner or similiar fast evaporating solvent and a hose, add some to the trans cooler and blow it out with compressed air. It's best to blow through it opposite the direction of fluid flow.

the top going into the cooler is recive and the the bottom is the send to trans
Top line of trans goes to top line of the radiator, bottom goes to bottom.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cablebandit
Damn Dave...get off the net and build some more trannys!
Hey Jerry, waiting on some parts.....should be here soon...let me know how you run this weekend....Have a good Day...Thanks for the kind words.....hope this helps....Dave
Old 02-03-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i dont know about all that personal stuff but i do know for a fact that there are some posers on this board that will point you in a direction to turn a buck. and the one guy is right, its free, so it must be ethical.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Default I did say their was some nice people, you shouldnt take it personal if u tried to hel

Hey, jexxson, I got it all togather yesterday, but thanks for responding. As for rock, thanks for the call and no, you were one who didnt try to sell me but the other 13 callers did. Now as for the bolts on the trans line, your right jay, I figured it out on my own, there c clamps that you take off and dont have to unscrew the trans line. Had I known that I would have saved a 1 hour trying to reach up in there to unscrew them.

Space, lol

Theirs a timing mark on the fly wheel and it was also on the converter, so I knew where to line it up. I took it off the jack stands, flushed the cooler with quick dry break fluid, blew it out till I saw nothing coming out the other end. Hooked it up, it was shipped with a bracket holding the converter in place which made it easy to know it was on right! Some dumb macanic that replaced the trans before had used RV sealant on the trans case and flange for the trans mount, it got into the transfer case, I cleaned that out, he also crazy glued the connectors, so I had to break the park/nutral switch and replace that, why would you do that? Theres a rubber boot to keep out water?

I used bolt sealant with anti sease on all bolts so if I had to take it out again it would be easyer. I put it all togather, added 5 quarts, shifted for 2 mins, then added another 7 and shifted for a min, (in all gears) then added another quart, drove it around the block, let it set in nutral for a min, then checked fluid level again, and added 1 more quart, leaving it a quarter below. Its a monster!!!!

I tuned it up, plat 4S sk speed wires, new gaskets on pan, vaule covers, oil pump and flushed radiator, new fluids, cleaned and replaced front breakes, (will need more stoppin power, LOL) it peels, its never done that before. Today I will take it on the highway, some say dont pass 55 for a few days, whats your spin? Thanks all that did help without trying to sell me something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! You know who you are

I will never pay for another trans shop to touch my vehicle, thanks, if you want something done right, do it yourself! Peace
Old 02-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Teching In

To bandit, I hear ya about the free part, but I wouldnt pretend to be some guy trying to help just because I want to sell you something, I would be stright and tell ya, hey, I sell them and fix them and maybe we can help each other, whats so hard about that? Instead of pretending your a guy with a question but really tryin to steer me to you for money, thats a hoe!!!!!!! Not a biz man, if your so good at what you do, you wouldnt have so much time to be posting, your shop would be boomin with phone calls, lol! Anyone that would try to decive would not be the person to trust for a trans! Iam smart enough to know, trans work takes alot of understanding, what shop would say..."we dont dyno test so we dont even know if its working right, we will tell you its rebuilt but what we mean is we used some old parts from one layin around and hope it holds past the warranty, or I really havent learned what Iam doing but I need your money to pay some bills?????
Old 02-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Sounds like a sales man, why come to this post and post that???hummmmmmm why not send it to dave personally??????????? How hard is it to create another screen name and post that, which has nothing to do with this conversation?????????Think about it,

Damn Dave...get off the net and build some more trannys! I am going to dyno again without boost falling off and see how much this Rock On 4l60e can take!! I already put 703rwhp and 770rwtq thru it......going to the track again on Saturday. 703 thru a 3800# car with 3.23 gears shows Dave knows wtf he is doing with the 4l60e in his hands. If he is giving you advice/help...take it!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club

I am not a salesman. The 4l60e is weak and not many folks can get it to stand up to some power. Just wanted to let you know that Dave at Rock On knows what he is doing. As far as another screen name...I have over 2500 posts...don't think that just happened overnight to promote Dave and his business. I will alway offer props to Dave and also Thunder Racing. Dave gave you advice.....not all advice is worth taking...just wanted the you to know that Daves is good.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Banned

See you did it, I don't think you even got any help from here did you?
As for break in I usually drive enough to get the fluid level right then drive it as normal whether it be hard or easy drive how ever you like.

As for everything else about who's selling what I don't know.
I do stuff on my own, I think I can see a few things that the pro's have long forgotten, like the easy stuff. I don't know.