Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission is dieing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission is dieing?

Today I was on the freeway going home and I put on cruise control at 70mph I had to pass another car in the next lane to get to the exit so I did. But right when I hit the gas the rpm started flying and the car advanced very slowly. Well now 3rd and 4th gear are not good past 40. I have been testing the car and I can only drive with 2nd gear. I checked the transmisson fluid and it was a little low but the dam transmission is tricky to check. Iam now in the middle of taking off the hpp3 and Im about to disconnect the battery to see if maybe cutting the battery, the pcm will reset and correct this sliping transmission. I had my sfc welded on and I told them shouldn't the negative on the battery be diconnected? And they said no, that they have not had any problems, but it has been 3 days since the weld in sfc so Im stumped, is my transmission dead or should I pour in more transmission fluid. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Took another test drive and found out I only have 2nd gear.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

man that sucks. i have a 98 with 104K and mine sometimes reads low, and sometimes ok, but i went ahead and put some in mine the other day. my fluid is RED as red could be. is yours burnt??? to bad you dont live over my way, my uncle does performence rebuilds for those trannys, for under $1,000. he has built trannys that have taken LS1 cars into the 10, so when mine needs done, he's doing it.

good luck

Charlie
Old 02-03-2005, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
man that sucks. i have a 98 with 104K and mine sometimes reads low, and sometimes ok, but i went ahead and put some in mine the other day. my fluid is RED as red could be. is yours burnt??? to bad you dont live over my way, my uncle does performence rebuilds for those trannys, for under $1,000. he has built trannys that have taken LS1 cars into the 10, so when mine needs done, he's doing it.

good luck

Charlie
Ya a local Tranny guy that I've always taken my tranny's to (really specializes in 80e's, E40D's, 700R4's, 60E's) promised to build my tranny to take up to 500 hp and warranty the tranny for 2 years, that includes if I ran slicks.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova

good luck

Charlie
My trannys fluid was and still is red but it starting to smell burnt because I have still been driving the car. I don't know what is the max mph on 2nd gear but I have gotten her up to 70mph at 4500 rpms. One tranny guy said I can still drive the car and nothing will mess up the engine, another said Iam making the engine work harder and can cause damage to the tranny so whos right?