Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockup switch on a 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lockup switch on a 700r4

I've got a 700r4 in my car with a vigi 3600. Right now the stall isn't locking up at all. I called steve freeman, who built the tranny, and he said I needed to "hook up the lockup to the brake lights so it gets 12v+ when you hit the brakes". That's all the info he gave me, could you guys help me get this right?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW........
It needs 12 volts to lock it up. I'd run it through a fourth gear pressure switch then to a toggle switch then to a keyed on power source.
This way it would automatically lock up in fourth. When it comes out of fourth it unlocks so theres no use for wiring it to the brake light switch.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the 12v is to make it NOT lock up, but maybe that's just me.
If this isn't the best way to do it, could somebody MSpaint me a schematic?
Old 02-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Banned

No, 12 volts to the TCC solinoid makes it lock up, I've done several of these.
Search google, there are wiring diagrams out there.
Simple, send 12 volts to a normally open fourth gear pressure switch, when it hits fourth it closes the switch and sends the 12 volts to the solinoid.
When you stop it downshifts from fourth to third no later than 25 mph so theres no worry about it staying locked up.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why isn't it locking up now, then? It never locks up, it's acting like a non-lockup converter.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.smokemup.com/tech/700r4.php

notice the brake switch is used to break the circuit not make it..it is a nc or normally closed switch..therefore when the brakes are applied it will kill the connection and unlock your converter..some people place a vaccum switch in place of the toggle which would supply power to the lockup when sufficeint vaccum is achieved..once you got the switch set...it would be just like the orignal computer control...fully automatic..some just run it by itself on a toggle bypassing the brake switch all together...only problem is if u forget to turn it off when your slowing down..it starts to bog the tranny...
matt
Old 02-06-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome, thanks Matt!

The thing that isn't making sense to me is this. So you hook up this circuit in order to KEEP the converter from locking up. If this circuit is not hooked up, then why isn't the converter locking up and just staying locked up?
Old 02-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Euclid
Why isn't it locking up now, then? It never locks up, it's acting like a non-lockup converter.
Do you have it connected to a 12 volt power source?
Do you know where each of the four pins in the plug go to?
You need to drop the pan and wire it up the way I've been saying.
I can only give so much advice, if it's not absorbing than I'm going to give up.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Euclid
Awesome, thanks Matt!

The thing that isn't making sense to me is this. So you hook up this circuit in order to KEEP the converter from locking up. If this circuit is not hooked up, then why isn't the converter locking up and just staying locked up?

YOU APPLY 12 VOLTS TO THE TCC SOLINOID TO LOCK THE CONVERTER!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

so what I would be doing is always locking up the converter except for when my foot is on the brake?
I don't want to control this thing manually, the car is a daily driver. I want it to be as automatic as it can be.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright man .....im gonna try and explain this....from the factory the tranny lockup was controlled by the computer..if for some reson u remove the computer ,the tc will not lock...i believe (its been a while) that there is a 4 pin connector that goes into the transmission..it is on the drivers side..it is a square connector...one of these wires is the acutal wire that supplies the 12volts to the lockup system..you will need to find out which wire it is...then you can wire your switch up...to save you headache i would just buy a 700r4 lockup kit and be done with it...i have the tci unit myself...it includes the vaccum switch that i spoke of earlier..this means that.....THE VACCUM SWITCH WILL SUPPLY THE POWER/OR GROUND TO THE LOCKUP SOLENOID..THE CONVERTER WILL NOT BE LOCKED IF THIS SWITCH IS NOT MADE..WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOUR SLOWING DOWN OR THE ENGINE IS NOT MAKING ENOUGH VACCUM TO TRIGGER THE SWITCH..THE CIRCUIT WILL BE BROKE THEREFORE UNLOCKING THE CONVERTER UNTIL SUFFICIENT VACCUM IS MADE AND TRANNY IS IN 4TH GEAR.. so if you want it as automatic as possible.. there is a kit that is fully external..as in you wont have to drop the transmission pan or anything..its plug and play a..it locks up based on teh tranny being in 4th gear only..no vaccum no brake switch..etc...

alll that being said.......buy this and save yourself some headache
http://www.tpiperformance.com/noncomlockit.html
Old 02-07-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, cool. Thanks for that link.
What I'm getting from that site, though, is that the torque converter will only lock up in 4th. Shouldn't it lock up after 3600 rpm in any gear? Also, you mention a vacuum line, and that link only mentions + and ground.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, so aparently if you drive a car without the lockup hooked up it'll kill your transmission...

Quick Reply: Lockup switch on a 700r4