Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some advice PLEASE. A4 with plenty of cam questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some advice PLEASE. A4 with plenty of cam questions.

I thought I did my homework first and found that I am so overwelmed w/info and some conflicting, I thought I ask you guys. I just bought the C2 cam (224/224 581/581 112 lsa) The reason I did is for 2 reasons. 1.) Descent power gains on my A4 2.) Absolutely love the sound of a lope. Now, after talking with other professionals (MTI and Jeff Paris (badz on ls1tech)), I don't believe my tranny can hold up with this mod....Even though I will need to install a higher stall converter with my cam (haven't installed the cam yet) and haven't found the right converter yet that will be nice to my tranny and yeild good driveability.

What I don't want to do is install this cam and stall, and later find out my tranny starts to slip. I understand getting the TC to lock up in the power band is important, however doesn't that translate more shock on the A4? Won't this eventually kill the A4?

I understand the C2 cam will yield approx 25 hp more over stock. However, won't the HotCam yeild as much? but at a lower rpm band?
Old 02-20-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

The Yank SS3600 or Vig3600 would be a good converter for your setup and goals I think. Anything from a 3500-4000 stall would work well though.

As far as making the tranny last as long as possible. You will want a decent sized (at least 24k) trans cooler. You may also consider a deep pan and a trans temp gauge. Another key thing for these trans is proper tuning. Another idea, depending on how many hard driving miles and track passes you already have on the trans, maybe you could spend a little money to get it freshed up and put some better parts in. With at cam that small I would worry too much. Some of us have had bigger cams and more power to the wheels and the stock trans held fine for a good while. One day it will go out though...no matter what you have done though.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Besides rpm ranges of my cam and the hotcam, how much difference is there between the two based on horsepower?
Old 02-20-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My opinion is that you need the stall speed, but not
necessarily the STR of these converters. High STR will
raise the input shaft torque and, yeah, it will increase
acceleration -if- you can hook it up, and if you -can-
hook it up then that puts your trans between a rock
and a substantially harder place than stock (more torque
multiplied more). If you have 2.73s then the high STR can
be the ticket to get you better launch. For a 3-series car
I think it's overkill (the big STR) unless you have slicks.

I've decided to go the custom route to get the stall up
but the STR down vs my current 3000/2.2 converter. This
direction is not the norm but I'm convinced it suits my
street performance oriented interests better.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

I agree totally with the Cains. Your cam is not to dramatic that it is going to need to be using a super high stall. I have a 233/239 cam and a 2800 stall speed vert in my work car. Driven HARD 8 hours a day on the highway and the tranny has been really decent until about a week ago. At 64 K it is finally starting to slip in the 3-4 shift.
I am having Chuck from Finish Line Transmissions build me a bullet proof 4L65E with a ton of tricks in it but...this is for extreme duty use.
Use a big cooler, a temp gauge, and a deep pan. I'm sure if I would have done these mods first, my original trans would have lasted even longer. One last thing, tuning is the key. Do a search on here on line pressure and make up your mind...or talk to the experts, don't just turn the pressure up high and remove TQ management, you'll burn your stuff up. Good tuning is the key w/ a cam and an A4.

Good Luck,
Kev