Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e 4WD vs non 4wd 4l60e ,,,2002

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e 4WD vs non 4wd 4l60e ,,,2002

Bought a 6.0 from a 2002 Denali that also included a 4l60e 4wd and transfer case. (Do not need the transfercase) Is it possible to just change the tailshaft and housing on the tranny and use this trans.? This is going into a conversion "95 Caprice". Also is there any other differences between a 2wd tranny and 4wd,, Valve body,, Any information / advice greatly appreciated,, Roger
Old 02-25-2005, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

98+ trannys are totally different than yours. They have the detatchable bellhousing and even use a different converter .
Other than that, a 4wd and 2wd are the same trans.. In order to swap tailshafts, the trans has to be torn all the way down to the bottom (The only thing you dont have to pull is low/rev) to access the snap ring on the shaft. So you could feesably just install all the internals out of the new trans anyway and install them into yours (With the exception of the pump stator).
Old 02-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Okay ,, Thanks Dave ,, so if I could get a "Current design tailshaft" (98 and later) I should be in business?
Know a shop in Las Vegas that does some peformance trans builds and will take it to him to do the work and build.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being it came out of a half-ton with a 6.0, that transmission you have there is actually a 4L65-E. Unfortunately to use it you will have to swap not only the tailshaft as Dave said, but also the input shaft. LSx and Gen-III motors use a 33-spline input shaft version of the 4L6x and have different torque converter dimension requirements. The 2-piece case 4L60-E was first used in full-size old-body-style trucks in 1998. This version of the trans had a 30-spline input shaft and will work with your existing torque converter and adapt to your car. (The 2-piece case also saw earlier production in S-10 and Jimmy trucks as well as the 1997 C5 when it came out in 1996. S-10's are 30-spline and the C5 is 33) The only other pieces you would need to make it work is a 2WD tailshaft housing and the flat lower bellhousing cover. I would think one from a '98 pickup would work. Be sure to check the oiling circuit in to rear of the trans. There are differences there between 2WD and 4x4.

I noticed in your sig it says you're working on a 6.0 conversion. If your plan is to remove the LT1 and use the 6.0 with the 4L65-E, all you need is the 2WD tailshaft and 2WD tailshaft housing.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

James ,, Thanks for the Reply, Yes, I am currently changing some things on the 6.0 , switching over to Fbody setup on the motor, including ls6 manifold. This will be going into the Caprice and the current L99= 4.3 will be history soon! Car currently runs 18.2s ,, Yah I know that is Slowwww! (gives me time to look at the flowers when going through the quarter LOL) Should hopefully have the conversion complete in the next 3-4months. I will be replacing the convertor when I have the trans rebuilt, along with the tailshaft fix. Roger
Old 02-27-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.3? Oh man... I didn't realized they ever put anything that small in those, that must be aweful. That's going to be a great daily driver. What more could you ask for? Plush living room on wheels with a nice couch in the front, couch in the back, and the power to pass everything. Sweet.

Speaking of 6.0s going into '95s, I've been chatting back and forth with a guy dropping a 6.0/4L80-E into a 1995 ECSB 4x4 1500 pickup to replace the TBI350/4L60-E it had before. He's working on the fuel line situation right now...
Old 02-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by James B.
4.3? Oh man... I didn't realized they ever put anything that small in those, that must be aweful. That's going to be a great daily driver. What more could you ask for? Plush living room on wheels with a nice couch in the front, couch in the back, and the power to pass everything. Sweet.
Yeah the Caprices for 95 came standard with a 4.3 litre (V8). There was a option for The LT1 but quite a few of the Caprice's were sold with 4.3's. Lots of the Caprices that were sold to the Highway Patrols and Police Departments got the LT1's in there cars.
The Impala SS's all came with lt1's.

Yeah I am really hoping this turns out nice, be nice to go back to the track and pick up 4 seconds in the quarter from a "MINOR" mod... LOL
This conversion has been done several times so the good news is that I am not doing anything that has not been done.

Thanks again for the information.. Will post some photo's on the conversion soon!!

Quick Reply: 4l60e 4WD vs non 4wd 4l60e ,,,2002