Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Rear Seal Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E Rear Seal Leak?

I recently added a hand held tuner to my car <from VHP> and upped the shift points 300 RPM and increased shift firmness <upped line pressure>. I drove it around with the added line pressure for three days......then turned it off. I was under my car today and it looks like my rear tail shaft seal has leaked. Last week I was under my car <prior to installing the tuner> and the entire undercarriage was bone dry. It is not currently leaking but I could tell that it did leak out some fluid at some point the past week. Would upping the line pressure cause the rear tailshaft seal to leak or is this just coincidence? My tranny has 62K on it. Is the seal easy to replace or is it best left to a shop?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

it is VERy easy to replace. remove the four bolts that hold the u-joint on to the yolk in the rear end. remove the drive shaft(you may need to us a screw driver to het it loose) get a seal puller and remove the seal. you can use a rubber mallet or hammer to instal the new seal. this is very easy to do. takes about 15 mins to do.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Would the added line pressure have caused this leak or is the tranny just showing it's age?
Old 02-24-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

My seal went at around 65K. Very easy to do.

That seal is not meant to hold pressure. It is probably a combination of: the seal being old-and the increased line pressure is causing the tranny to work a liitle harder, moving the outputshaft slightly. Sounds horrible, but I cant explain what I am thinking very well.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Rear Seal Leak?