Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3800 stall whats your trans temp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3800 stall whats your trans temp?

i have a tci ssf3800 and i have the trans temp gauge and it runs usually around 150ish and the other day i was riding around and it got up around 210 so i pulled into a mall and went in for a couple hours. how hot can my trans run at with out burning up???? is this normal with the size stall i have? i also have a trans cooler.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

this probably wont help you since something could be up with my car but....

I have a 3800 and just installed my temp gauge yesterday.

cruising around town and even on highway my temps are around 125 degrees. I went and was hard on the car and even let it idle for a long time in gear and the temps only got up to 150. Either my gauge is off, or my 24K cooler mounted after the stock cooler "Dope" style is doing a great job at keeping my tranny cool. It's also 30-50 degrees around here so I know in the summer it would be higher. I read how guys have low temps, but never heard as low as what mine's reading.

As far as your temps getting high, I would be concerned that your cooler isnt doing a very good job or visa versa your gauge could be reading higher. Where did you put your sender? in the test port?

I'd like to see someone respond to these temp issues so TTT for tonight

Greg
Old 03-07-2005, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

3800 stall-

stays right around 190* after some wot runs, then will hover between 175-185. hottest it ever got (via hptuners) was 191* but this is in colder weather (below 45*) so needless to say im a little worried about this summer. all i can do is keep an eye on it. btw- b&m 2400gvw mounted "dope" style.

if it starts to go higher in the summer i may get the tahoe pan and then get the derale cooler with a fan on it or run 2 coolers or something. i know i shouldn't have to but the temp is what it is.

210*- dunno, mine will probably be damn close to that when it gets warmer/hot out so you are not alone.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Ttt-.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/tra...expectancy.htm

just got off the phone with a tech from TCI. around 170* is optimal,.

the chart above says it well.

also the type of fluid used can drop temperatures, as well as not running the trans-cooler lines into the radiator and a deep pan.

from that link...

""How hot is too hot? The ideal operating temperature for automatic transmission fluid is between 175 and 225° F. At approximately 240° F, important additives in the ATF begin to cook. The result is the formation of varnish inside the transmission. At approximately 260° F, internal transmission seals (which are typically manufactured from a polyacrylate material) begin to harden. The end results are leaks, both internal and external, simply because the seals lose their elasticity. At approximately 295° F, transmission clutch plates begin to slip because the oil is breaking down further. At approximately 315° F, seals and clutches effectively burn out. Carbon forms in the oil and for all intents and purposes, the transmission is junk. Just for your information, a typical transmission will die within 2000 miles if subjected to 300° F+ heat.""
Old 04-26-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

that is good to know... When my car is hotlapped at the track or when I am in slow stop and go traffic for a long time my trans reaches 180. Most of the time it is well under 150 for cruising down the highway.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my SS4000, my temps do not go over 165*. When I am racing the car, two runs will see 190* and I let the car sit for a few minutes.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its best to lower your cooling fan settings. My low fans are almost always on when the engine gets up to temp. This helps keep constant engine temps and pulls more air through the trans cooler.

How is the cooler hooked up? coolant from the transmission enteres the bottom of the radiator and exits the top. From the top of the radiator it should go to the trans coler, and return to the top line that goes back to the transmisison. Alot of people make the mistake of hooking it up at the bottom which will have no effect as the radiator will reheat the transmission fluid.

Quick Reply: 3800 stall whats your trans temp?