Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission to blame?

Old 03-08-2005, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission to blame?

I had a lot of work done to my car by a certain well-known motorports company a while back. On the dyno, my car put 385 hp to the ground. However, I only ran a 12.1 at the track. Most people told me that I should be running faster than that. I remember when I had the work done, for all the tranny work, the company sent the transmission down the road to a transmission shop. When I got my car back, my SES light was on. They told me that they had to turn monitering for a transmission solenoid off because the shift kit would cause problems with the computer. Recently, I had some transmission problems, and I took it to a local transmission shop to be diagnosed. A mechanic there told me at one point that if my computer was throwing any code related to the transmission, my car would run in "safe mode," and would take off in second gear when in drive. Could this be the reason I am seeing slow track times? Would the computer throwing a code for monitering being turned off cause me to take off in second gear?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Launching!

How hot is it there the weather will play a role if its real hot thats a performance killer! Probably ought to be in the upper 11S though!!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

IS the car taking off in second gear?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

It's hard to tell because there were issues with the torque converter locking up, shuddering, etc., so it was too hard to tell whether the tc was locking up or the tranny was shifting.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you get the codes read? There may be a number of them. I've never heard of "soleniod monitoring" having to be "turned off" because of a Transgo install. Also, I don't think you could run a 12.1 in "safe mode." It turns the car into a complete dog by pulling timing as well as affecting the tranny.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To many varables , what was the 60ft are you spinnign or hooking , what mph , what was the weather, ETC , Man if your car went into limp mode i would think it wouldnt run even close to 12.1. was this your first time at the track..

Search this Thread