Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter tuned?

Old 03-14-2005, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter tuned?

Howdy gang, I have a 3500 Neal Chance converter, upon reading various threads I see people mentioning a requirement of tune for the converter. What tuning needs to be done? What are the consequences of not getting this tune? I've maybe put 40'sh miles on this new setup but I'd like to make sure its not gonna be a shortlived one.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by studlybilly
Howdy gang, I have a 3500 Neal Chance converter, upon reading various threads I see people mentioning a requirement of tune for the converter. What tuning needs to be done? What are the consequences of not getting this tune? I've maybe put 40'sh miles on this new setup but I'd like to make sure its not gonna be a shortlived one.
I have a Y3000 coupled to 3.73 rearend gears, and on my 01 Z28, I needed the TM deleted, and my shift points changed. The dyno tune can also correct any other problems concerning A/F ratio (WOT) and rev limiter.

SteveC
Old 03-14-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically TM is deleted and the WOT shift points are adjusted, but seldom are the part throttle shift points and TCC apply/release values ever adjusted. This is what is meant by tuning a stall converter, this will make the converter more fun to drive around with. Plus, you may need to adjust shift point pressures to keep from throwing any codes like some older models used to (PO757).
Old 03-14-2005, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Like said above, Tm deleted, Shift points, & possibly limiter raised.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im actually in the same situation.....My car is mostly stock but i just added an air lid and a catback, but am thinking of a converter switch....will the hand held tuners turn off the TM and do the other needed tuning....if so then ill get a crane power tuner first then a torque converter. thanks fellas

Search this Thread