Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mysterious tranny leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mysterious tranny leak?

I bought my z 3,000 miles ago and had to replace the tranny 2 weeks after I got it and then today at wot shifting into third it bounced off the rev limiter and then shifted. I checked the tranny fluid and could have licked the dip stick it was so clean. Do you think that the a--holes didnt put any fluid in or has anybody experinced any leaks like this. I havent seen ANY stains under neath the car, not to sound retarded but can you burn tranny fluid like you could burn motor oil? and has anyone built a 4l60e to hold about 400-500 and would be able to give me an idea of how much money it would cost to do so?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Yes you can smell burnt transmission fluid. Did you put fluid in the car? They may have just not filled it all the way? Stick your head under there and look at the tail shaft and pan to see if they are leaking.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Well, of course, your tranny can't consume fluid the way your motor can burn oil. And if it was leaking that much you'd see some evidence of it. But this is why you have to check and re-check tranny fluid YOURSELF after having any tranny work done, a flush, or a fluid and filter change. What at first may appear full may actually be a pint or quart low after the car's been driven some - or even more so, as in your case. Hopefully it will perform ok after you fill it properly and no damage has been done.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

I put two quarts in and it runs better but I ripped on it from a stop and gripped the best I since ive had the car and I noticed it wasn't a smooth shift into second. Ive heard of auto slipping like that when you have high horse, but come on i dont even have that much done. Are these trannies really THAT weak?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

what year is it ??? my ss is a 2000 ( i had the same prob) and i heard that the 2000 computer didnt come with enough line pressure, its proly just a tuning problem. (sounds wierd) Turn your maf backwards this causes your trans to have more line pressure and you will be running rich go at it at wot and see what happens, btw your ses light will pop up its the code for running rich
Old 03-26-2005, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

its a 99, the LS1 Edit tune should be able to take care of any line pressure problems right?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

I like how you said cars with lots of power can have the auto trans slip. You aren't making NEARLY enough power to have this happen. But no these trannies are not that weak. You have a problen with it.