Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me find the leak in my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help me find the leak in my tranny

just bought a new car (in sig) a couple weeks ago and everything was fine but now its starting to leak fluid somewhere on the passenger side of the transmission. it doesnt leak all the time, only seems to do it after ive gone on a long drive like 20 miles+. fluid is full and its not burnt.

ive been under the car and cant seem to find any obvious places where its leaking but the front bolt on the passenger side of the trans pan had some fresh trans fluid on it. car runs and shifts fine, no slippage that i can feel. any ideas?

oh yeah, trans is a jg stage 4 and pt4200 verter.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess it's leaking around the dipstick tube. Might need a new rubber bushing.

Or if the bolt wasn't put back in to hold the tube in place it will sometimes leak a little there.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt.
im just wondering if its something simple like a bushing or gasket leaking a bit of fluid or if its something i should worry about replacing. i wanted to race tonight and if its leaking tranny fluid, thats not a good idea. its certainly something to do with it running or heating up/expanding because it doesnt just leak when it sits.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the passenger side there are the lines, the servo's, and the fill/dipstick tube.

When the car is off, the lines won't have pressure, and the fluid will be low enough in the pan that it shouldn't leak from the servo area, and probably not from the dipstick.

When it's running and the fluid is circulating (and sloshing around from cornering and braking) it's very likely to be leaking from the fill/dipstick tube which is in the front corner.

If it was leaking all the time, I'd say the pan gasket. But if it's only after driving it, the dipstick sounds like it...