Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this EXACTLY what will prolong tranny life?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is this EXACTLY what will prolong tranny life?

I have attempted to figure this out via search, but only got so far. My car is going in to speed inc in a couple weeks to get the Maxiumum Evil 4L60E with vacuum modulation. I want it to last as long as possible without driving around like grandma on the street and while still going to the track on occasion.
What I seem to have found is that this is what you need to do to make them last as long as possible:

Keep the fluid cool. Not over ~220* if possible, and no hard driving if over ~200*. I think I'll get a second tranny cooler or put a fan on the one I have, it gets hot FAST.

Change fluid regularly. I'll ask speed what fluid they use/recommend. What do you guys use/recommend? How often should it be changed on a relatively hard driven car?

No WOT in overdrive.

Limit WOT kickdowns from a roll that will land you in 2-3 gear. Espeically 4-2. If you go down to first gear is it really a lot less damaging than if you land in second?

Limit WOT 2-3 upshifts. Not gonna worry too much about that one, but I wouldn't have too hard of a time lifting once I reached the upper 90's most of the time on the street anyway.

If you are going too fast to land in first gear either slow down first so you hit first, don't go to WOT, or pull the shifter down to 2 while coasting/cruising, then get on it and put it back up into OD. Is this easier on it than leaving it in OD and slamming the pedal? (remember, mine will be vacuum modulated, if that matters)

If I do those things does it increase the life of my transmission? I realize it won't last forever and will need refreshed after awhile (new clutches, etc) but I think I'm really going to be paranoid now.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bah
sounds like too much work and limitation to keep a 'maximum evil' from breaking
Old 05-02-2005, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
bah
sounds like too much work and limitation to keep a 'maximum evil' from breaking
Yes it does, but this is a 4L60E we are talking about. You can only make it so strong. (unless you go to rossler, lol) But everybody who runs these things hard or with lots of power has them freshened from time to time and I want to go as long as possible without having to do ANYTHING but change the fluid.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats a lot of work to avoid doing that. hehe.

I do all of those negatives every day in my stock w/converter auto. Its still shifting strong.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

I realize now how much I beat on my tranny. I loved punching it from ~25-30 mph or at about 60-70 mph, long smokey burnouts before many mods where I am sure I was heating the fluid excessively, WOT just long enough to hit third gear, one run into OD....

It really won't be that bad. It still allows unlimited WOT that starts in first and ends in second. Second goes pretty high with a 6500 shift point and 3.23's. It allows the other things, just not on a regular basis.

So, will these things help significantly??
Old 05-02-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I realize now how much I beat on my tranny. I loved punching it from ~25-30 mph or at about 60-70 mph, long smokey burnouts before many mods where I am sure I was heating the fluid excessively, WOT just long enough to hit third gear, one run into OD....

It really won't be that bad. It still allows unlimited WOT that starts in first and ends in second. Second goes pretty high with a 6500 shift point and 3.23's. It allows the other things, just not on a regular basis.

So, will these things help significantly??
is this coming from their actual warrently? If so that would kind suck because you can't avoid 2-3 shifts. You can't complete the 1/4 w/o it.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

This is just an accumulation of what I have read and I'm trying to verify and get other ideas/opinions. The 2-3 upshift at WOT isn't all that harsh...I don't think. I believe the kickdowns from a roll and excessive heat are the two worse things you can do. That or WOT into/in overdrive but that's not a problem.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO keeping the tranny fluid cool and keeping it in 3rd gear around town. the best thing i can recomend is changing out tranny fluid often.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im still confused, how can you control wether your in OD or not ? on auto firebirds theres only one D. doesnt it turn OD off anyway when you go WOT?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Banned

Limit WOT 2-3 upshifts.
That should be fun. I'm guessing that'll ruin your track time.
I'll come back and read the repsonses you get when I need a laugh.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Limit WOT 2-3 upshifts
Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
That should be fun. I'm guessing that'll ruin your track time.
I'll come back and read the repsonses you get when I need a laugh.
This is what I originally posted.
Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Limit WOT 2-3 upshifts. Not gonna worry too much about that one, but I wouldn't have too hard of a time lifting once I reached the upper 90's most of the time on the street anyway.
Originally Posted by 00firebird
im still confused, how can you control wether your in OD or not ? on auto firebirds theres only one D. doesnt it turn OD off anyway when you go WOT?
The camaro and firebird just put different symbols on the shifter. It's 1, 2, 3 (D), 4 (OD). What I was referring to is moving the shifter from it's regular drive setting down to 2.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

You have a list of do's and don't's thats funny.
I have a few do's.
Get your transmission built properly, get your VCM tuned properly.