Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! My tranny (A4) rolls off when in Park! Drives in Neutral!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help!!! My tranny (A4) rolls off when in Park! Drives in Neutral!

This just happened today. I was parking my car and when I put it in P, let go of the brake pedal, my car started rolling forward. I hit the E-brake and it stops. When I put it in neutral and hit the gas, my car goes like it's on D. I thought my plate was off but I'm able to shift in from 2,1,D OD N and P. my car accelerates on 1,2, D, OD and N It goes in reverse when in R and sometimes when in P . What the F@#K is wrong with my tranny? I am so pissed! I just had it rebuilt and installed my stall not too long ago. What would cause the tranny to roll when in P? What can I check? It's raining pretty hard right now so I wasn't able to check anything. I just left it in P with the e-brake on and took the key out. I also placed something in my rear tire so it doesn't go rolling off.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2005, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

mine started doing the samething......and it will start in (R) so be careful......I think the problem is with part that connects the tranny cable to the tranny....it's on the driver side of the tranny......I have not had a chance to look at mine yet but I did a search and that what most people think....I think something gets bent and it is an easy fix....I hope
Old 05-03-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree that the problem is likely in the shift linkage. I would want to fix it right away, since you might have the manual lever in the valve body stuck between gear ranges - that can cause damage.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

With the car off and raised up on jackstands, look on the driver side of the transmission towards the engine, have someone move the shifter and you will see what's moving. Hopefully it will be obvious what's wrong, probably out of adjustment somehow.

Good luck,
Bad30th
Old 05-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Teching In

maybe its just stuck on any 1 2 D OD and the shifter is loose not doing anything
Old 05-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Well I jacked up the car, took upper console out and made sure it was in park. I disconnected the cable connected to the tranny ( gear selector). I pressed the gear selector back to P (on the tranny) and sure enough the cable is not long enough for me to connect it back. I think my cable might be going bad since it doesnt extend back long enough to put the gear selector on Park. I am able to force it to go to P by going from 1 all the way up to P in one fast motion. I dont know if its bad but thats seems to be the only way for the tranny to stay in P.

Should I still use the car as it is or not? It there a way to fix the cable so it extends all the way out to P? I'm still confused about what happened to the cable.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

It still sounds to me like it could be an adjustment issue or bent bracket. On the cable housing, at the transmission bracket, there's an adjustment button that you're suppossed to unlock (by rotating it) to adjust the cable while both levers are in Park, with the cable disconnected. Then, after reconnecting the cable, you're suppossed to tighten the adjustment button.

Like I said, I wouldn't drive the car too much until I fixed the problem.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Glyselle
It still sounds to me like it could be an adjustment issue or bent bracket. On the cable housing, at the transmission bracket, there's an adjustment button that you're suppossed to unlock (by rotating it) to adjust the cable while both levers are in Park, with the cable disconnected. Then, after reconnecting the cable, you're suppossed to tighten the adjustment button.

Like I said, I wouldn't drive the car too much until I fixed the problem.
Are you talking about the spring retainer thing on the bracket? Do I just adjust that to make the cable longer?

I wont be using the car until I can get this issue fixed. I did buy a new cable just in case. I wont be getting the cable though until next week so I'll try and work on it this weekend.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by iwantLS1
Are you talking about the spring retainer thing on the bracket? Do I just adjust that to make the cable longer?

I wont be using the car until I can get this issue fixed. I did buy a new cable just in case. I wont be getting the cable though until next week so I'll try and work on it this weekend.
I got that information out of the factory service manual (1999 F-body). It's kind of sketchy, and actually, an earlier manual says to press the adjustment button (not rotate it). The self-adjusting cables I'm most familiar with all have buttons that you push instead of rotate.

Basically, it sounds like a typical self-adjusting cable that has an inner and outer cable housing at the end. The inner housing is likely spring-loaded and has a ratchet where it slides over (or inside) the main cable housing. When the button is pushed (or rotated), the slack is taken up automatically, so that when the button is returned to its normal position, it locks into place with the correct amount of adjustment. Have a good look at it, and I'll bet you'll be able to find the button and figure out how the adjuster works. Sometimes these adjusters can break, but when they do they usually go slack - kind of the opposite problem from what you're having.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Launching!

thanks for the tip! i will definitely try that this weekend. thank god i have a beater car! lol!