Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Kit in a 700-R4

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift Kit in a 700-R4

I have no experience installing shift kits, and have no experience with transmissions other than changing the fluid/filter and taking a tranny out and putting one in. Is installing a shift kit something that can be done by someone without any prior experience <in other words, if I attempt it, how likely is it that I'll screw it up?>? I would like to install a mild shift kit in my 700-R4, nothing exotic, just want to firm up the shifts a bit. Anyone have any pointers? Any suggestions for brand or type of kit? The tranny is in a 1/2 ton pickup that sees regular street duty.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a transgo kit in my 700R4 a month ago. The tranny was out for a rebuild at the time so it was REAL easy for me

And transgo gives you a video to go by so it is pretty hard to screw this up if you've gone as far as changing a tranny filter before.

Basically you change a few valves and valve springs, wack the seperator plate with some plugs, do some drilling in the seperator plate and you are done. Oh and some driling/plugging in the case and valve body. Not too hard if you have any mechanical ability. Biggest thing is making sure you do every thing CORECTLY. I'd really recommend taking it out of the vehicle - makes it much easier.

As far as initial impressions, the kit is awesome. INSTANT downshift times and it shifts hard when you give it gas. No slipping at all.