Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help w/ selecting a stall and brand

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help w/ selecting a stall and brand

Im sure this has been asked before, in fact ims ure it has, but my search results didn't show anyone in my situation and my plans for my car so im asking it again.

What stall speed and brand do you recomend for my car? My biggest 2 concerns are streetability and not wanting to zap my gas mileage. My car is mainly stock w/ a whisper lid, filter, FRA, and a cut out. I am planning on adding a set of 3.42's within the next week to the combination, and a new exhaust system (longtubes, y pipe, etc.) within the next month or so. What stall would compliment my intended combination the best w/ out turning it into a gas guzzler?

I apologize if my questions seem somewhat "unknowing", all i've ever owned is 5 speed mustangs and im sailing uncharted waters w/ my '02 A4 T/A.

Thanks in advance, Jay
Old 05-06-2005, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

I would recommend the Vig3200 or TCI 3500. Both are good street/strip converters.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran

yeah a good 3000-3500 stall would work well. Check out TCI and Yank----->
Old 05-06-2005, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing recommended to everybody with a bolt-ons daily driven/heavy street use car. 3000-3500. Seeing as how you are worried about gas (not a good worry to have driving an LS1) you might want to check the Yank SS series. They are supposed to drive very tight around town for their stall speed.
Other typical questions for getting a converter: Do you plan to have a cam later? If so, do you have any idea what size(s) you'd be looking at? Do you have drag radials? You will need them to get good use out of most converters. On standard street tires anything more aggressive than an SY3500 is pointless.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
The same thing recommended to everybody with a bolt-ons daily driven/heavy street use car. 3000-3500. Seeing as how you are worried about gas (not a good worry to have driving an LS1) you might want to check the Yank SS series. They are supposed to drive very tight around town for their stall speed.
Other typical questions for getting a converter: Do you plan to have a cam later? If so, do you have any idea what size(s) you'd be looking at? Do you have drag radials? You will need them to get good use out of most converters. On standard street tires anything more aggressive than an SY3500 is pointless.
seeing as how my car gets around 21 mpg around the city, i am a little concerned about my gas mileage.

If i do get a cam it will be waaaaay down the road, at the moment im not wanting one. No, i dont have drag radials, but i will before too long.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

You drive a 300++ horsepower muscle car that gets 21 mpg around the city and you are concerned with gas mileage? What did you expect to get when you bought it? That's above the EPA rating.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will loose another 1-2 mpg with a converter. It is part of the game with a V8. The Yank SS3600 will work and it will be fine if you should ever upgrade the cam. Drives like a 2800 until you punch it.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
You drive a 300++ horsepower muscle car that gets 21 mpg around the city and you are concerned with gas mileage? What did you expect to get when you bought it? That's above the EPA rating.
Actually, just dyno'ed 319 hp and 340.8 tq about 2 hours ago.

Also, just filled up after the dyno pull. My gas mileage is 21.12 mpg at the moment.

Yes, im concerned about gas mileage. I like getting 20+ mpg here, and im not going to give all of it up unless necessary. I guess what im really looking for is a respectable stall convertor that wont zap my gas mileage.

My mustang averaged about the same mpg as im getting city on the highway, so you could imagine my enjoyment the first few times i filled my T/A up after cruising on the weekends and seeing what it was averaging.

A bigger, heavier, faster car w/ a larger engine gets better mpg than my lighter, 5 speed equipped 5.0... wonders never cease.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blacker
You will loose another 1-2 mpg with a converter. It is part of the game with a V8. The Yank SS3600 will work and it will be fine if you should ever upgrade the cam. Drives like a 2800 until you punch it.
1-2 mpg doesnt scare me at all, i was afraid of seeing 5 or more mpg loss. Is thats the case w/ most convertors in the 3k-3.5k stall range?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay_Dogg
1-2 mpg doesnt scare me at all, i was afraid of seeing 5 or more mpg loss. Is thats the case w/ most convertors in the 3k-3.5k stall range?
That depends on your right foot, and the type of driving you do. I only get about 22 mpg on the highway and low-mid teens around town.