Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th-->2nd downshift is a no go.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 4th-->2nd downshift is a no go.

The 4L60E in my 2001 SS has been doing this for a while now and I'm just wondering what internally is wrong with it to cause this. The car had a procharger on it for a while, just thought I put that out there that the trans has had to deal with a little extra power in it's life. Here is the problem.

If I'm just cruising in 4th gear say between ~60mph-70mph and floor it the rpms will immediately shoot to the rev limiter and the car will not downshift. It should go down to 2nd gear for just a few seconds before going back up into 3rd. This is one of my favorite things to do when passing on the highway and now I can't anymore. I know it's hard on the trans to do that and realize I screwed the trans up but, I'm just wondering now what is messed up in there? The computer has a stock tune back in it so the revlimiters and everything else has nothing to do with it. I have verified this with more than one tuning program.

Any trans builders out there have an idea? Is it something I could replace relatively easy myself with a rebuild kit?

BTW, the trans will upshift from first to second fine at WOT but, will not downshift.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

try manually shifting it to 2nd gear and see if it'll go in
Old 06-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Adkoonerstrator

I've never tried that at or near WOT, I will give it a shot later if the rain lets up. It will go into 2nd fine at part throttle manually shifting or letting it shift itself though.

I'll either have to start below ~60mph or above ~70mph so it doesn't TRY to downshift on it's own though....below 60 will probably be safer and also give me a little more rpm range to work with.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:21 AM
High on diesel fumes

When my trans went I lost the 2-4 band, while cruising in 4th it would do the same thing if I got on it hard, bounce off the limiter. I also lost 2nd under normal acceleration though, would stay in 1st up to 4k or so then drop into 3rd...do your part throttle 1-2 upshifts feel normal?
Old 06-04-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the 4-2 WOT downshift is extremly weak on the 4L60E, Mine will even slip a tad. Almost feels like turbo lag. Pull it down into 2nd before going WOT, works out great for me

Right after I got wot I put it back in D or OD to let it do its own shifting.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by thunder550
When my trans went I lost the 2-4 band, while cruising in 4th it would do the same thing if I got on it hard, bounce off the limiter. I also lost 2nd under normal acceleration though, would stay in 1st up to 4k or so then drop into 3rd...do your part throttle 1-2 upshifts feel normal?
Yep, the 1-2 part throttle upshifts feel normal.

Quick Reply: 4th-->2nd downshift is a no go.