Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd gear clutch blown, 4th time

Old 06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3rd gear clutch blown, 4th time

So. I had a shop do the rebuild on my 98 4lg60e when I did my ls1 swap. When I got the tranny it was bad, needed a full rebuild. The shop did a full rebuild, using heavy duty parts, installed a B&M shift kit ( I think it was b&M) and the car was running fine. I drove the car for a long time but never got on it hard. I finally did get on it a few times in a row and the 3rd gear clutch blew out. I paid the shop to fix it ( they wouldnt warranty it cause I didnt bring the car back to be looked at ) a month or so later, it blew again.

The owner of the shop warranties it this time but says he removed some sort of saftey stoper on the trans, to firm up the shifts, which he is finding causes slippage, which he thinks is blowing the gear. He puts in a "high rev kit" which he says will fix it. Got the car back, 2 weeks later the clutch blew under mild spirited freeway driving- Does anyone have any thoughts on Whats going on? Electrical is fine- I checked and had a shop check, and I had the PCM reflashed to stock ( just cause ) I was thinkin maybe a tranny cooler is needed- overheating and burning out? Stock stall. mods in sig.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you need another shop to build it. That is the problem. Good parts....built properly with plenty of line pressure when you need it and it will last. Problem is, lots of folks only get good parts and not the rest. Call Rock On transmissions in Krum/Denton Texas and Dave will build you one that you can beat the **** out of and keep on tickin. Check out the vid in my sig....I am running his tranny.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Rebuild it yourself!!

I rebuilt mine and it worked the first time - glad I didn't have an ***-raping shop do it. Most shops do it to get it done and out of there quick - you will take it slow and do everything right if it is going to go in YOUR car.

It' isn't terribly hard, it just takes some time and a clean shop.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

The shop is a time taker shop. Problem being I no longer have a place to work on it myself. And i already have money invested =) They are fixing it free , and will most likly give me my money back, Just wondering if anyone has had this problem =).
Old 06-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Default Blown 4L60E

Originally Posted by BuffJoeyD
The shop is a time taker shop. Problem being I no longer have a place to work on it myself. And i already have money invested =) They are fixing it free , and will most likly give me my money back, Just wondering if anyone has had this problem =).
I also have a blown 4L60E. Had it rebuilt two months ago and it has gone bad in exactly the same manner as before. Pops out of reverse, causes whiplash from 1st to 2nd, and jerks forward while parked on a hill (my driveway). Transmission from brand new lasted 106,000 miles. From first rebuild to now is 8,000 miles. I had it done by a guy who builds racing transmissions. I think he low-balled me with the parts. I am going to give him a chance to make it right. Then, if it goes bad again, I will go up the road to Krum, TX for a (virtually) indestructible one. I've never been litigious, but I just may become that way if Rudy doesn't fix my transmission right.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clutch blew
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem
What blew in the clutch? did you see it? you can lose third gear for several different reasons, maybe every time was something else. or Maybe it was the same thing every time.
If you have the parts in your hand the question can be answered, if you're taking the builders words and typing it here it's anyones guess.
The only way to get it properly fixed is to find out whats going bad, upgrade it and any other known weak link in the trans. There are several.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Well, the problem still is something trying to be worked out, and your right Jason, Knowing and seeing exactly what is going on would probably help, but I dont know much about transmissions. ( im using this as my time to learn. ) So far we have gone through a few 3rd gear clutch packs the way I take it. There is now the high rev kit , and Im heading back to the shop because 3rd/4th both slip if I give the car more than ¼ throttle. I will try to get Exact information on whats wrong if they decide to open it up and fix it again.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He shoulda put the hi rev kit in to begin with. I am on my original 3/4 clutch pack (Rock On built) but did break a sprag this weekend which i dont blame on the builder. My 3/4 held up to 700hp for 25000 miles and over 50 passes in a 3800# car......if they dont get it right, call Dave at Rock On transmissions and get him yo build you a good tranny that you can not be scared to beat on. I got 50 passes at the track...who knows how many times I hammered it on the street!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd gear clutch blown, 4th time