Sponsored by:

trans problem or diff.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default trans problem or diff. my expert can't figure it out

on my 99 ws6 A4 /70K miles

I have a noise a scrapping sound when I first heard it a last week it was very loud only for a few minutes then the scrapping sound but goe's away when car shifts to 2nd gear. just before I heard this loud noise I went up a steep hill then pulled up a little car didn't pull so I gave it a bit more gas than normal that's when the loud sound started.

while coasting in neutral I still hear the noise.

the rear end mechanic disassembled the diff. saw no bearing wear or gear wear. but did see worn axels both, he replaced both axels but noise still exits.

mechanic can spin the rear hub by hand and hear the noise coming from diff.
I asked him to engage the transmision without the drive shaft and listen for noise before and after the trans shifts he heard no noise in trans.but I'm thinking the trans has to have a load for this test to work.

The second mechanic kindof ragged on the Astralian rear end it being crumy
and hard to rebuild due to lack of cluch packs, I think the Stock GM 7.5 10 bolt is a good rear end friends are putting over 500HP to them and there holding up fine.
I'm considering on taking it to another rear end man he has microphones he connects to the diff. & trans and listens while he test drives he says each part makes it's own distinctive sound and he can identifie them, he's expensive
any suggestions are appreciated
Old 06-11-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default trans problem or diff.

on my 99 ws6 A4 /70K miles

I have a noise a scrapping sound when I first heard it a last week it was very loud only for a few minutes then the scrapping sound but goe's away when car shifts to 2nd gear. just before I heard this loud noise I went up a steep hill then pulled up a little car didn't pull so I gave it a bit more gas than normal that's when the loud sound started.

while coasting in neutral I still hear the noise.

the rear end mechanic disassembled the diff. saw no bearing wear or gear wear. but did see worn axels both, he replaced both axels but noise still exits.

mechanic can spin the rear hub by hand and hear the noise coming from diff.
I asked him to engage the transmision without the drive shaft and listen for noise before and after the trans shifts he heard no noise in trans.but I'm thinking the trans has to have a load for this test to work.

The second mechanic kindof ragged on the Astralian rear end it being crumy
and hard to rebuild due to lack of cluch packs, I think the Stock GM 7.5 10 bolt is a good rear end friends are putting over 500HP to them and there holding up fine.
I'm considering on taking it to another rear end man he has microphones he connects to the diff. & trans and listens while he test drives he says each part makes it's own distinctive sound and he can identifie them, he's expensive
any suggestions are appreciated
Old 06-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No suggestions, but be grateful that your car still runs, my T5 just took a **** in itself.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turn the radio up or give the guys over at Century Automotive a call