Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking when put into gear..???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clunking when put into gear..???

Alright, i've seen it happen many times in many cars.

I just tossed in the TH350 trans and got it running and adjusted the shifter linkage. when the car is in neutral and i put it in gear, it clunks. is this mainly because of the high idle of a motor? it used to be a M6 car and it idles around 1000 rpm, where as i thought i remembered my auto 98Z idled at like 600rpm. would lowering it help any, or is this just something to "deal" with in a 'racecar'?

also, when i put the shifter in neutral, and let go of the brakes, with the car off the ground, it will still spin the tires. now i can put my hands on the tires and stop them from spinning, so it's not like it's in gear, but what could cause that? i don't think that with the car on the ground it'll actually spin them.

Chris
Old 06-21-2005, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put a locker and th400 in and im getting the same thing. my rear pinion yoke has about a quarter of a rotation play where when i put it in reverse and drive it will clunck. it happened after i put the locker in so i dont think its the transmission....

on the other hand, in my old truck i had the same problem and when i had taken the diff. off i found out my spider gears were destroyed. The gears in my camaro's rear end looked fine so i dont think thats the problem. i have no clue but im getting the same problem
Old 06-21-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be u-joints or trans mount just food for thought.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brand new on both of them, HD "nitrous" steel driveshaft