Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would mixing up the trans cooler lines cause it not to cool properly?

Old 06-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would mixing up the trans cooler lines cause it not to cool properly?

I was wondering on a tranmission cooler does it matter the way you connect the lines on the top and bottom of the cooler? If mixing up the 2 lines will this cause the trans fluid not to cool properly?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, you will defeat the purpose of it. You want to put the cooler after the fluid has gone through the radiator. Reason is if it goes through the cooler first it could bring the temp down quite a bit but than it has to go through the radiator(which is 200* or so depending on your thermostat) and than to the trans. If you hook it up the other way the temp of the fluid goes from 210 ish to the radiator which is under 200 and then to the cooler wich is basically air tep which would lower it around another 10-20 and if you have a fan on that cooler even more...
Old 06-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

maybe thats why my transmission temp is high. iam at 195 to 205 during normal city driving and the weather is 85 to 90 degrees here in chicago. possibly i have the 2 lines mixed up on my trans cooler. i connected from the trans line from the top of the radiator to the top line of my trans cooler or should this line be connected to the bottom of my trans cooler?
Old 06-30-2005, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You tranny may be 195-205 during normal stop and go driving in this weather, regardless of whether you have it hooked up correctly. But do check to make sure it goes radiator first.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

are you saying the lines AT the cooler may be swapped? some coolers are specific about which port is in and which is out(those are marked which is which on the cooler itself), but most are universal and can be plumbed either way. who made your cooler?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

no iam saying just the lines on the after market trans cooler the top line and the bottom line, if those two were mixed up just curious if this will affect the cooling of the trans fluid.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I t hink that's definitely a possibility. Here's what you should do so you know what's goin on:

1) Check to see if you have adequate flow/pressure at the line before the trans cooler... you may have kinks that are preventing flow. You can check this at idle.

2) Check to see if you have flow at the outlet of the trans cooler... obviously if it's not making it out of the cooler, there's no circulation and you're not cooling.

3) Check to see if you have flow in the return line where it goes back into you trans.... again, this will help identify any kinks or other obstructions.

IMHO I think at this point you need to start ruling things out one by one and stop playing the needle-in-a-haystack "what the heck's wrong!?!?" game!

Frustrating, I know... good luck!

Originally Posted by turbobuick33
no iam saying just the lines on the after market trans cooler the top line and the bottom line, if those two were mixed up just curious if this will affect the cooling of the trans fluid.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

I'm still not sure what you're asking. You want to determine which of the hard lines coming from your radiator is the return line to your transmission. That's the line you want to "splice" your tranny cooler into. That way you are cooling the ATF right before it goes back to the transmission. If you connect your cooler to the "in" line then the cooled ATF will have to pass through the radiator before going back to the transmission. It will still work, but it won't be nearly as effective.

If you're asking if you can swap the lines connected to the tranny cooler itself, that depends on the brand of cooler. With all of the B&M coolers I've seen it doesn't matter as their coolers aren't directional. However, some coolers are, but they are usually well-marked with "IN" and "OUT" indicators.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

I think 200* is a little high... maybe not the perfect comparison, but we have 5500 and 6500 series flatbed tow trucks with Allison automatics and thermostat-controlled trans coolers (factory equipment.) We installed trans temp gauges to monitor the fluid and found that it will heat up to 150 and stay there... period! When loaded the temp will go 20 or 30 degrees higher, especially when pulling hills, but that's about it! In very hot weather we'll get it close to 200* on the hills... but that's in 95-100 degree heat with a loaded weight of around 18,000-20,000 lbs!

Keep those temps down!

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
yes, you will defeat the purpose of it. You want to put the cooler after the fluid has gone through the radiator. Reason is if it goes through the cooler first it could bring the temp down quite a bit but than it has to go through the radiator(which is 200* or so depending on your thermostat) and than to the trans. If you hook it up the other way the temp of the fluid goes from 210 ish to the radiator which is under 200 and then to the cooler wich is basically air tep which would lower it around another 10-20 and if you have a fan on that cooler even more...
Old 06-30-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

well 200 is about right. If the trans fluid is going through the radiator and the water in the radiator is 210*(with stock thermo) the fluid can only cool down to the temp of the radiator fluid which is 210*
Old 06-30-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

True... that's also to get the fluid up above 150*. Below 150*, the trans fluid has poorer lubricating properties and will wear your components faster... just like if you run it too hot.

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
well 200 is about right. If the trans fluid is going through the radiator and the water in the radiator is 210*(with stock thermo) the fluid can only cool down to the temp of the radiator fluid which is 210*
Old 06-30-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

trans temps will get up there fast enough on there own. i'd bypass the radiator cooler and just go with the extrernal cooler. here in houston tx at least
Old 06-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Today I was crusing on the highway my trans temp was at 185 and and when i got off the highway the trans temp slowing went up to 200 degrees. I can't get anything lower than 185, ive read many posts of many guys with stalls running about 150 to 165 degrees the trans cooler. Even with the perma-cool trans cooler one guy in this post https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/179082-alternative-tranny-cooler.html used this and hes running about 165 degrees. And Iam using the same perma-cooler and the same mounting style he has and Iam running 195 to 200 degrees all the time. I am kinda stuck and don't under stand why my trans temp won't stay below 200 degrees. Many posts Ive read shown that with a trans cooler your trans temp should be below 200 degree.

Last edited by turbobuick33; 06-30-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Today when I was crusing on the highway my trans temp was at 185 and and when i got off the highway the trans temp slowing went up to 200 degrees.
How hot was it outside? The heat index here in the middle of indiana was 97* today (and I was working outside in the fields all day...what a fun summer this will be), I assume the weather was basically the same up there.

When it's this hot my temps crusing on the interstate vary from 165*-175*, depnding on how hot it actually is, how fast I'm going, how long I've been on the interstate (it takes awhile to lose all the heat), etc.

How long did it take to hit 200* when you got off the highway? How long did you drive with it like that, w/o having it go higher?

Those temps sound pretty normal to me given the current weather, with a high stall converter.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
How hot was it outside? The heat index here in the middle of indiana was 97* today (and I was working outside in the fields all day...what a fun summer this will be), I assume the weather was basically the same up there.

When it's this hot my temps crusing on the interstate vary from 165*-175*, depnding on how hot it actually is, how fast I'm going, how long I've been on the interstate (it takes awhile to lose all the heat), etc.

How long did it take to hit 200* when you got off the highway? How long did you drive with it like that, w/o having it go higher?

Those temps sound pretty normal to me given the current weather, with a high stall converter.
Yes I live in the suburbs of Chicago and the temperature outside is about 90 degress. I don't have a big stall. I am running a 3000 stall and I was crusing about 75 mph for about an hour and my trans temp was at about 180 to 185 degrees on the highway. Your crusing temperatures are lower than mine. When I get off the highway and thats when I have stop and go traffic the trans temp will slowly crawl up to 200 degrees. I just think I should be running cooler like your trans is. What is your trans temp at during stop and go traffic? Is yours at 200 degees or is it lower?
Old 07-01-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Default Cool to the touch?!?!

Is your trans cooler cool to the touch or is it pulling in the hot fluid and heating up??? That needs to be your first step!!!!

Yes I live in the suburbs of Chicago and the temperature outside is about 90 degress. I don't have a big stall. I am running a 3000 stall and I was crusing about 75 mph for about an hour and my trans temp was at about 180 to 185 degrees on the highway. Your crusing temperatures are lower than mine. When I get off the highway and thats when I have stop and go traffic the trans temp will slowly crawl up to 200 degrees. I just think I should be running cooler like your trans is. What is your trans temp at during stop and go traffic? Is yours at 200 degees or is it lower?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

Even with the perma-cool trans cooler one guy in this post https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179082 used this and hes running about 165 degrees. And Iam using the same perma-cooler and the same mounting style he has and Iam running 195 to 200 degrees all the time. I am kinda stuck and don't under stand why my trans temp won't stay below 200 degrees. Many posts Ive read shown that with a trans cooler your trans temp should be below 200 degree.
I am using that setup and was running 185* cruising the other day in 95* temps after a couple of WOT runs. Running around 200* on a real hot day is not unusual and is not going to harm your tranny.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

What is your trans temp at during stop and go traffic? Is yours at 200 degees or is it lower?
In this weather it climbs pretty quick in stop and go. I got stuck in bad traffic on my way back from speed inc after the tranny rebuild and hit ~240* before stopping at McDonalds to let it cool! Normal driving around I hit 200-210* pretty easily after awhile.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FastKat
Is your trans cooler cool to the touch or is it pulling in the hot fluid and heating up??? That needs to be your first step!!!!
I am not sure I never did touch my trans cooler after I was driving. Next time I'll touch it after I drive. When I touch the trans cooler should it be cold?
Old 07-02-2005, 11:29 AM
10 Second Club

you want your trans cooler to be hot. thats where the heat is being removed from the tranny fluid. It wont be real hot since much of the heat is lost to air
definitely shouldnt be cold

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would mixing up the trans cooler lines cause it not to cool properly?