manumatic paddle shifting????

Old 07-04-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manumatic paddle shifting????

I was paging through a street rod book and came across this item:
Manumatic Paddle Shifter

http://www.twistmachine.com/

Seems like a really cool idea but can someone explain this "manumatic" concept to me a little further?

What does it take to run this on a ls1/4l60e combo?

Does it integrate with the pcm or what?

Costs??

thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like it is basically an air shifter. i doubt that can be adapted tot he 4l60e since it is electric....i think it is made for the th350/400s and such.

good luck with that one
Old 07-04-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pretty sure its electronic
Old 07-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Launching!

I believe you need a TCI tcu or other tranny control program. I've read in another post how a guy had his 4L60E shifted by his radio buttons on his steering wheel. 4L60E E is for electronic.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all here.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i posted a link to that site already and i read that stuff but im just interested to see if anyone has this on their ls1/4l60e combo and how well it works.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyp
yea i posted a link to that site already and i read that stuff but im just interested to see if anyone has this on their ls1/4l60e combo and how well it works.
Well you asked these questions
Seems like a really cool idea but can someone explain this "manumatic" concept to me a little further?
What does it take to run this on a ls1/4l60e combo? Does it integrate with the pcm or what?
The link I posted seems to answer these questions, at least for me.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Can someone explain manumatic better
Look at manumatic transmission technology as you would any other computer technology. In order for it to exist, you need three things:
-A CPU
-Software
-Input/Output devices
CPU
Obviously, LS1 equipped vehicles come from the factory with computers--ECU's. The ECU's handle all electronic transmission control. However, these ECU's do not have manumatic software loaded on them. And there's no way to load manumatic software onto the ECU's. So the only way to add manumatic capability is to also add a separate computer that has manumatic capability (software). These manumatic-ready computers are offered by TCI, Powertrain Control Solutions, Compushift, etc.
Software
So what does this software do? It's most basic function is to perform shifts on request. But there is so much more software capability. Like the ability to switch between auto and manual on the fly. Driving down the highway in high gear, you switch to manual mode to do some precision "passing". The software knows to start out in high gear--not first. Inversely--when in manual mode, the TCI computer will automatically reset to 1st gear if you bring the vehicle to a full stop. Ths saves potential damage resulting from accidentally leaving in high gear. The PCS computer has multiple modes: True Manual and "Smart" mode. One more example: Downshift prevention will not allow you to manually downshift too far for a given mph. For example Do not downshift into 1st gear above 25mph. So you can see that manumatic software has a lot of capabilities--much more than just signalling a shift.
Input Device
Much like the keyboard or mouse in front of you, manumatic shifting requires some sort of electronic actuator (such as the paddle shifter shown above). Many new cars from a Mercedes to a Kia have a +/ located on the floor shifter. Porsche Tiptronic or GM Tapshift uses steering wheel mounted actuators. It could be as simple as a couple of transbrake buttons and coil cords mounted to the steering wheel--but paddles are way more fun.

The key to manumatic control is the software. You cannot (or should not) just splice into the shift solenoid output wiring in your transmission. You really want those signals to go through a manumatic-equipped computer.

I hope that helps.
/Steevo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: manumatic paddle shifting????