Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with my trans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats wrong with my trans?

My trans won't shift at WOT into 3rd. I think it is third, the shift point is arund 90-95 mph so i'm guessing it is third gear. I mentione this in a different thread and someone said that it might be my 3-4 clutchpacks have failed. I talked to someone else who has experience with transmissions for 13 years and has owned a few f-bodies and he said that it could possibly be a problem in the valvebody. He said it could be a piston or some **** (i never understand people when they talk about transmissions). This is an A4. Any opinions as to what may actually be wrong with my trans and what somebody has to do to fix it + cost?

Let me explain exactly what happens. I floor it, it actually chirps 2nd sometimes which is pretty cool, when it goes to shift right around 90-95 it just keeps riding the rev limiter, i never rode it long enough to see if it will eventually shift because i was scared to break anything. If i back enough it will shift up no problem, i think it shifts to third like that but it could be going straight to overdrive, i can't tell from the rpms.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a shift kit installed? It definitely sounds like a problem in the valve body to me, since it normally shifts fine. Something's causing it to hold out the shift too long. If it were your clutch pack, you'd probably notice problems with shifting during normal driving, and it would at least try to shift at WOT.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

No shift kit, i believe my trans is stock. It doesnt shift too crazy so i'd imagine it was stock although i have nothing to compare it to. And it shifts fine when not at WOT, but even close to WOT it will not want to shift int 3rd. When it mentioned my problem to the guy with the trans experience (in my starter thread) he immediately said (without any speculation) that probably isnt the clutchpacks and its in the valvebody, since this is the second response like this then i think thats probably what it is.

Do you know what has to be done to fix this and how much it will cost? And will a shift kit fix this since i dont want to spend a bunch of money just to be stock again.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got pretty limited automatic transmission experience, and most of what I know is older transmissions that don't use electronic shift solenoids. My guess is that it will probably wind up being cheaper than an overhaul. And the transmission will probably not have to be taken out to do the repair. Maybe someone else with more experience and knowlege of part pricing can help more. I know that when I replaced a shift solenoid in my Mopar, the part itself was about $250 - installation was easy, though. If it winds up just being a stuck shift valve, it will probably be relatively cheap.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Banned

Default hey

Listen up, to get third gear in these units Both selinoids are off. If you've got a stocker and just started having these problems go to your dealer and get a new speed sensor (vss)....I don't think your problem is in your valve body....I think it's a tuning issue/miss information see alot of this ..Hope this helps Dave
Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Are there any other symptoms regarding the speed sensor issue that will help determine the problem? I'm definitely not going to bew working on this myself so i need to know all the info i can get so i dont take it somewhere and end up losing more money than necessary.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Teching In

let me know what your problem is, mine has done the same thing a couple of times lately just like you said shifting to 3rd at wot. it hasnt done it everytime but just a couple.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

thats how mine started. And it used to only do it from a roll, like 70mph, i'd floor it from there, i guess it would downshift to 2nd from third, soon as it hits 90-95mph it would just hold the rpms. in some cases even bounce off the limiter, it wouldnt even try to shift to third. Now it just won't do it at all under WOT no matter where i start from.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spy2520
Are there any other symptoms regarding the speed sensor issue that will help determine the problem?
No 3rd at wot, hiting the rev limiter.....hope this helps Dave
Old 07-26-2005, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

ha thats funny. Thanks though, i'll get it checked out.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Let me know what you find out. I am having the same problem and was thinking about changing the VSS but wasn't sure if that would fix the problem.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it just started doing it and WAS working fine AND you have made NO changes...it's gonna be 3/4 clutches or vss. Tire size change will mess the tuning up as well as new stall...gear..etc
Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

the car is completely stock. i havent changed anything. I dont really know when exactly it started happening, but i know it seemed like it would only happen when i was already cruising at around 70+ then floor it, now it does it everytime at WOT. It could have been the same all along i just never had the right conditions to check it.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Teching In

OK this is promising. I just posted earlier today about the exact same problem. Everything works fine except shifting into 3rd at WOT, it just bounces off the rev limiter. I also read that a low idle speed can be a VSS problem. I'm not stalling, but my idle is lower than it should be, I didn't imagine the problems could be related but it seems to be possible. (Just bought the car used, still working out the bugs)

If I can fix this by swapping the VSS that will be a deal. Advanceautoparts has a Borg Warner S8363 listed for 21.99. Anyone have any input on installing this, or if one brand of sensor is preferred over another? I can't imagine the install is too difficult, I haven't slid under the car yet but I believe this sensor should be easy to replace. I doubt it's worse than changing the fluid, I did that this morning.

I'm out of town with my car right now and all I have is a screw driver. I don't guess anyone might know what other tools i might need for the job? Or the exact location of the sensor, I think it's on the tailshaft?

Chris
'99 Z28 | 4L60-E
Jacksonville, FL
Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

i'd like to know the process as well.

Wait a minute, this is my thread anyway. j/k