Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans temp went to 280 degrees!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans temp went to 280 degrees!!!!

Still shifted ok but soft. Cant understand why it went that high so quick???
Installed a trans cooler a month ago and had steady temps of 195 or below.
Drove the car today and within 20 mins. at 6: 00 in the morning it has at 230 degrees.!!!Pulled over when trans over temp message came on and let it cool down to 200 to get it home car was turned off). Climbed back to 260 in 10 mins. of driving. What all of a sudden would have caused such high temps and aside from fluid prabably shot what damage has been done.?? Still shifted o.k. but soft and on time. And no fluid on garage floor fwiw. Any one experienced this or can tell me what to look forward to???? 50,000 miles on factory trans. going to hook back up to radiator but any ideas???
Old 08-05-2005, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

Do you mean that you are runing the trans cooler ONLY? You need to keep it running thru the radiator, and use the trans cooler IN ADDITION to the radiator.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rays C5
Still shifted ok but soft. Cant understand why it went that high so quick???
Installed a trans cooler a month ago and had steady temps of 195 or below.
Drove the car today and within 20 mins. at 6: 00 in the morning it has at 230 degrees.!!!Pulled over when trans over temp message came on and let it cool down to 200 to get it home car was turned off). Climbed back to 260 in 10 mins. of driving. What all of a sudden would have caused such high temps and aside from fluid prabably shot what damage has been done.?? Still shifted o.k. but soft and on time. And no fluid on garage floor fwiw. Any one experienced this or can tell me what to look forward to???? 50,000 miles on factory trans. going to hook back up to radiator but any ideas???
You might want to change the fluid and see what it looks like. Maybe since it's happening over time, you may have some sort of small clog in one of your lines or cooler. I don't know a whole lot about trannies, and this is probably a little bit of a "wishful thinking" answer, but you never know. Can't hurt to check!
Old 08-07-2005, 09:13 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your lock up converter could have taken a dump. ive seen them overheat because of one.
if it got hot, you definately lost some life in the tranny.
change the fluid yet?
good luck.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:19 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your lock up converter could have taken a dump. ive seen them overheat because of one.
change the fluid yet?
good luck.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TJ
change the fluid yet?
good luck.
Changing fluid today. If the lock up in the converter is screwed I can see it raising temp some(more rpm?) but but to get that high in temp???? On a wishful thinking note on a 1 to 10 range, 10 being 2nd/3rd clutch pak gone, 1 being change fluid/filter and prayer where do i stand??? I'm prepared for the worst but hoping for the best......BTW with ls1edit do i raise values in the trans section regarding torque and lower values for the negative chart??? sorry can't be more clear, not in front of my laptop that i program with. Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rays C5
Changing fluid today. If the lock up in the converter is screwed I can see it raising temp some(more rpm?) but but to get that high in temp???? On a wishful thinking note on a 1 to 10 range, 10 being 2nd/3rd clutch pak gone, 1 being change fluid/filter and prayer where do i stand??? I'm prepared for the worst but hoping for the best......BTW with ls1edit do i raise values in the trans section regarding torque and lower values for the negative chart??? sorry can't be more clear, not in front of my laptop that i program with. Thanks for all the input.
I have always found that being pessimistic with cars works out better. If you expect the worse whether it be damage or times, than you arent let down. And when its not that bad, you are actually pretty happy