Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate my vig 3600, need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hate my vig 3600, need suggestions.

Well, I just got my vig 3600 in this weekend, along with the lt's and ls6 intake. I hate how this thing feels now. I have adjusted the trans settings with hp tuners, but it didn't help. This thing feels like a 5000 to me. I have an older car with a th350 and tci 3500, and the only time I notice the stall is when taking off. Very crisp shifts. The vig softens all the shifts to the point I almost can't feel them, even with the hp tuners tweaked. It feels like it slips through the gears until it locks up, then feels fine. Definately puts the power down though.

Now for my question. I have lt's with tsp catted y, hooker cat back, and a lid. I am trying to go with the sleeper approach, and will probably end up with the cheaTR cam or the Mti stealth 2. Maybe 3.42 or 3.73 gears later. I am not really planning any other mods, but would like to run a 150-200 shot at some point. With these mods, what would be a good converter. I don't mind the way it feels when you take off, but I want to retain the crisp shifts. I hate how loose the vig feels. I will only get to the track on occasion, so I want it to feel close to stock on the street. Should I just go back to the stock converter?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Converters make shifts looser. Shift kit along with tuning can help, but they aren't going to be super stiff even then. Research should have showed that you were getting into all of this. Give and take. Man up and deal with it for the added performance, or go back to the stock converter or a small stall and give up performance. Simple answer.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Research should have showed that you were getting into all of this.
Thanks for the help! Everyone wants to say, "don't even notice my stall, great daily driver converter." Hard to research it with those type posts, and without driving one.

Why does my tci 3500 in my th350 not feel like this? Is it the difference in trannys? I figured only 100 rpm difference in converters would be comparable in shift quality.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You'll get use to it. Lots of people hate converters the first few weeks they have them. Wait two months, drive a stock converter LS1, you'll hate it
Old 08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

vig 3600 is a great converter you will pull some awesome 60 foot times with it a nice shift kit and tune will help you out big time,i am running a vig 4000 in my car and its a great converter shifts nice with the tune and shift kit,hope this helps...Dan
Old 08-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Hey Chris, whats up with the converter? You drove mine with the Vig 3800 and saw how it felt. I love it! Id say you could look into the shift kit, thatd prolly make the most noticable difference. How was your fittment with the TSP Y pipe? No banging like mine?

Brian
Old 08-15-2005, 02:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call Precision and talk to them. Vickie listens to me and tells me what she can/can't change with a restall. I had the same impression when i went from a vig 3200 to vig 3800....i am getting it restalled now down to 3200 for the turbos
Old 08-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Well the Vigs are known to stall higher than their ratings, so you're probably seeing alot more than just a 100rpm difference. Also, vacuum modulation and electronic control might be part of it between the A3 and A4 transmissions. I've got 3.42 gears and a 4000 stall TCI with a shift kit installed as well as a built transmission, so my shifts are about as firm as they will ever get, and under part throttle acceleration when I'm just keeping with traffic you can BARELY hear the exhaust note change between shifts, and you can barely feel it as well.

It doesn't bother me. The car shifts just cruising, and the car shifts at WOT. As long as it isn't slipping or snapping my neck all the time I dont care. I'll take the extra performance.

Stalls take a little getting used to if you're expecting one thing and dont get it. Give it some time. The added performance is worth it and you will get used to it (I felt like I might have went too big on my TCI 4000 after owning a 3200 stall for two years, but now it feels basically the same driving around, and kills the 3200 in every performance catagory possible).
Old 08-15-2005, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Whats up Brian?,

Your stall is a little higher than mine, so I was hoping to have a little better shift quality. I called precision industries earlier, and they said this converter would average about 3800, so I guess it's probably the same as yours. The guy I bought it from said it was a (3600?).

So far I haven't had any banging with the tsp y. I haven't run it hard though, because it hits the rev limiter. I gotta figure out my tunung. You should have come by the shop yesterday. Could of got a good look at it. I am going to debate this stall thing over the next few days, and try to tune it. If I'm not happy pretty soon, I'll pull it.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Launching!

haha i would have BUT after saturday night I had absolutely no voice yesterday. Im better today by a lot. Whys it hitting the limiter now? Hmmmm. I got my 02 sensor changed out. Im really thinking about going to that TSP Y because mine now BLOWS!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

It's the shift extensions. With the converter so loose it gets to the rev limiter before it can get the trans shifted. It's to be expected with a stall, you just have to tune it. I've been doing a bunch of research to figure out what all I want to change. Nobody seems to have a thorough guide, so I'm kinda piecing it together

I would definately reccomend the tsp y pipe. I haven't seen the off road version, so I don't know, but if it's like the catted y, I think it will solve your problems. Personally I would take it to a different exhaust shop. I think it could be pretty easily fixed if you can find someone who wants to do it. Just my opinion.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

josh99ta mentioned vacuum modulation. I just thought I would mention, my th350 is not vacuum modulated. I rebuilt the valve body for full manual control. It has no automatic characteristics. Governor locked out. This may have an impact on the shift feel, but my tci 3500 doesn't keep my rpm's at 3000 under light acceleration like the vig does. I think I could put a shift kit in and get a decent shift quality, but the rpm's are still going to hang. That's what I dislike the most about the vig. I guess it's just more than I expected. I probably should have went with a 2800, and a different brand, so it would be closer to the rating.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Launching!

well i have that Y pipe bump stop but the y pipe is flat is certain spots so the bump stop wont fit flush around it to serve its purpose. I think when i get around to it Im just going to get the TSP and put it on and hopefully the combination of it and my bump stop it wont do it anymore. Its not hurting anything but its just annoying when you can feel it hitting under acceleration.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you'll regret pulling it. Yours isn't any different than the thousands of people on tech who also have them. tune it and drive it, you'll love it.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:29 AM
12 Second Club

I have a Hughes 3500 stall. The dang thing feels like stock. Under light accel it might go to 2200 then I'm moving. Yea, it'll flash but not much. Pretty much like stock. I'll trade ya if you want a more stock feel.

Ski
Old 08-16-2005, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

I'll keep you in mind on the Hughes. I'm going to try to tune this one, and maybe put in a shift kit. See if it's any better. I don't know if I can get use to it. I want this car to be quick, but I already have a hot rod that I take to the track, so I don't need the SS to be quite so radical.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:01 AM
12 Second Club

Just send me a PM if you decide. It looks like your a night owl also? Or your on the east coast. Let me know.

Ski
Old 08-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

I think a tune and a transgo shiftkit would solve your problem.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you raised your part throttle shift points? If not, see if this helps:

Upshift for entire row below 70% TPS:
1-2 +1 mph
2-3 +3 mph
3-4 +4 mph

Add to the downshift table as well, primarily the 4-3 and 3-2 by 1 or 2 mph.

You can tweak it from there. That will take some of the looseness out.

Consider going back to a Vig 3200. Restall is free in the first year. The 3200 is enough for the street and you do not want to spray 150 on a Vig 3600.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the suggestions. I need all I can get. Especially like this, in easy to understand language. Any suggestions for the wot shift points to keep it off the rev limiter?

How loose does the vig 3200 feel normal driving? If it's rated at 3200, probably actually a 3600 or so? I want something that will flash pretty good, but retain the stock feel, or close. I like how the 3600 feels on take off, normal driving, just don't like how the rpm's never drop on low to mid throttle shift, and the super soft shifts. I may consider the shift kit.

I didn't buy the converter new, so I don't have a free restall.