Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tq converter install

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tq converter install

I'm getting ready to get my Fuddle converter (3400 stall/2.1 str) in the car.
I'll be doing it at a friend's who has a lift in his garage. How long should the install take and are there any tricks/tips you guys who have done this can offer? Any bolts, fittings, or connections especially hard to get at ?

In regards to the programming John at RWTD will be doing that for me. Anyone else here have RWTD do a tune for a converter ? Where you happy with it, did you need to make any changes to the tune they supplied ?
I don't want to make it sound like I don't have faith in them just would like to know what type of things I should be looking for in regards to the shift points, line pressure, idle, lock up mph, etc. and if I might want to request anything when they do the tune. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 09-11-2005, 12:44 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Replace both the front and rear seals while you have it out.
Make sure the converter is ALL the way in the trans. If it hits the flywheel before the trans mates with the engine it's not in all the way. Broke a pump the very first time I bolted one up.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

dont be alarmed if the tranny doesn't fall off after everything is unbolted, there will be rust built up on the dowels making it hard to break loose we used 2 jacks and plased them on the front of the engine and back of tranny and raised them in turn breaking the engine apart from the tranny. other than that pretty easy job took us from 9 am to 230 pm had it running at bout 3 pm after cleaning up.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Launching!

I just finished installing my converter on Sunday. Definitely
put a jack under the engine and another jack on the back of the trans. I had an extremly difficult time dropping the trans once every bolt was removed. But doing it this way, along with banging on the dowel pins, popped the tranny right off.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Before putting everything back together hold the convertor up to the flywheel to check and make sure the holes line up, test the bolt size in both the convertor and through the flywheel. Be sure to fill the convertor with fluid (approx 3qts). When putting the convertor onto the tranny turn the convertor while applying pressure to push it on you should feel it "click" three times then it is on. Use lock tight on the convertor bolts and tranny bolts. Good Luck!!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the results I got from a similar post https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/297969-tq-converter-install-guides.html There is some great info here!