Automatic Transmission
4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Th400 slipping at the track (question)

Old 09-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42
Default Th400 slipping at the track (question)

I'm running a TCI 3500 stall and built th400 behind my LT1.

At the track this past weekend I put the ET streets on and made a run. It was the first (and only run) with the th400 as I found it was slipping pretty badly. The car bogged hard and I could feel it slipping on the launch. Then when I went to shift the car at 6400rpm on the stock tach which is likely slow, the car bounced off my limiter which is set at 7000rpm. Then I was forced to shift into 3rd on the 8th mile track because I heard the car bounce off the limiter in second.

I thought it might have been the tach being really slow, but I only trapped 89mph and was forced to shift into 3rd gear with 3.42 gears which should be good for 100mph in 2nd gear.

On the drive home everything was fine and shifted normally. I had the street tires on again and from a roll, I shifted 1-2 and 2-3 without any slipping or issue. The problem was only pronounced at the track with lots of traction.

What would cause the slipping only at the track? Bands? Pressure/clutches?

The fluid level was fine, if not a bit high. The shifts were very mushy and soft at the track, but felt normal on the street. Fluid temp was about 185-195 on the track run.

Any input or things to adjust/look for would be appreciated.
Tireburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
Teching In

Trader Rating: 0
Default slip at track

dangerous to trans--- make 1 wot run just to feel 1-2 and 2-3 shifts with vacuum guage installed- Let me know how much vac you have while running- may be able to use tee bleed trick to up line pressure- tee a glass fuse end with calibrated hole drilled thru - can enlarge at track if need to - are you running a blower? craig
Craig Burnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
TECH Enthusiast

Trader Rating: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to 02' hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Burnett
dangerous to trans--- make 1 wot run just to feel 1-2 and 2-3 shifts with vacuum guage installed- Let me know how much vac you have while running- may be able to use tee bleed trick to up line pressure- tee a glass fuse end with calibrated hole drilled thru - can enlarge at track if need to - are you running a blower? craig
What is that? "the tee bleed trick"
02' T/A convertable,ram air,Procharged 451 LSX with F1C,TH400,3500 stall,trans brake,moser rear w/4.10's,tubeler upper & lower A-arms,QA1 raceing shocks,drive shaft loops,subframe connecters,OK to much to list.
02' hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Burnett
You want me to test the vacume at WOT? Shouldn't it be zero at WOT and like 12-14ish at idle? I'll give it a test and see if I'm pulling anything. What should I look for?

And I have the vacume line pulling vacume from a T on the side of the manifold. I think it's sharing a line with the EGR vacume line.

And I don't run a blower. I have a heads/cam built 355 with 11:1 compression and a bunch of nitrous. I was running motor that night.
Tireburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:54 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
3rd, blower, clutches, gear, shifts, sliiping, slipping, slippingslow, slips, th400, wot