Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E transmission filter oring seal on my 98 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E transmission filter oring seal on my 98 Z28

I just finished changing my tansmission fluid and filter on my 4L60E. I bought a transmission gasket, filter, and oring seal kit along with the tranny fluid from AutoZone. I had no problems with anything except for the oring. I removed the old rubber oring seal from the tranny with a flathead screwdriver. The new one that came with the kitis a metal ring with a rubber seal inside. I was unable to get anything other than the rubber seal out of the tranny. I tried prying out what looks like a metal ring inside the tranny. The new one will not fit in the hole. I am guessing I was supposed to take out the metal ring from the tranny, but I am not sure and did not want to crack the tranny or gouge it too deeply by using a hammer and screwdriver. I then inserted the new filter which fit ok, but feels a little loose. I am a little worried that the filter may fall out after hitting some bumps since there weren't any retaining clips and the seal is now gone.

Any ideas on what I should do? I have started the car in park to check the new fluid level, but have not driven my car yet. Should I just drive it and not worry about the filter falling out? Should I take out the old oring and replace it with a new one? If so how is that done? Thanks for any feedback.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your worry is not the filter falling out, you need to worry about it sucking air around the missing rubber part of the seal.
You can just take a screw driver and hammer and collapse the seal, pull it out.
Drive the new one in with a socket the size of the metal part.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

So I take it that there is a metal part to the seal still in the tranny that I need to remove with a hammer and screwdriver?

Also should I not drive my car until I change out the old oring because I might ruin my tranny if I suck air?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

I wouldn't drive it.
There is a seal with a metal outside and rubber inside, they can be tough to remove.

There are all kinds of problems you can have if it sucks air.

Of course there are tools out there that the pros use to remove/install these. But unless you want to track these down, pay three times what it would cost you to have a dealer change it all, and wait for these tools to come through the mail. I would just carefully use the screwdriver. and carefully use a socket to install the new one.
You might buy the right tools if you plan on doing this everyday, but for regular 30,000 mile maint it's not necessary. IMO anyway.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

ok thanks jxaxsxoxn. I will fix it tomorrow AM and not drive it.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

I got that stupid metal ring out with a hammer and screwdriver. All good now. Thanks again jxaxsxoxn
Old 09-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned

Anytime
Old 11-18-2006, 05:23 AM
Teching In

Default I had the same exact problem except one step further

the problem I had was that someone had forced a second o-ring gasket into the transmission filter gasket cylinder. I tried the screwdriver method but the thin wall was bent a little bit so i didn't take a chance. It took me 20 hours of drilling to get it out, the only reason it took so long was cause it wanted to make sure I drilled it straight, and even, which i didn't, so I messed it up even worse made the hole on the top part a little too big i cleaned it out really good and put a good amount of jb weld all around the outer metal part of the oring. i put a 1/2 socket on it and used a rubber mallet to hammer it in then i carefully flanged it to fit perfect and snug. the jb weld made a nice seal around it, I guess next time the gasket needs to be changed the tranny will have to be replaced.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

why did you use JB weld. As long as you didnt hack up the area that the new seal goes into, it would have been just fine.

Quick Reply: 4L60E transmission filter oring seal on my 98 Z28