Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will I know if I lost 2nd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How will I know if I lost 2nd gear?

Hey guys, I'm sure you've seen my other two posts about how my trans was acting funny after my tune. Well, now I'm pretty positive the trans is screwed, but I don't know for sure.

I need to A-Tap to find out what gear I'm in, but I think at part throttle my trans is shifting from 1st directly to 3rd. I know it revs all the way up to about 4000 rpm and 30 mph before it shifts. If I'm in 3rd or 4th and put the shifter in 2nd, it'll just rev (doesn't accelerate though) all the way up to redline until I put it back in D. At WOT, it doesn't make the 1-2 shift at all.

Also, I overfilled the trans and when I drained some today and it was a very dark red. Not gritty at all, just dark red.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind I just got my tune back from TSP.

BTW, mods if wanna delete my other post in the trans section please feel free to.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-19-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, when you put it in 2nd it just revs? if so its srewed. I had the same problem in my stocker. It would also shift from 1st-3rd. Time for a neew trans.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

If I start from a stop and put the shifter in second gear, the car moves. Problem is, I don't know if it is in first or second. Like I said, I need to autotap it. Only on the downshift from 3rd or 4th will it free rev.

Also, wouldn't I throw an SES code if something is wrong with the trans? I suppose this is something I could have asked in my other posts, but this is strictly a transmission related problem. Never mind the other issues I'm having (erratic idle, bucking and surging at 0% TPS, etc)

I'm also throwing a P0106 (MAP sensor code). When I did the cam swap, I never touched this sensor, so I can't imagine anything is wrong with it. I read somewhere on here that this code will mess with an A4s shifting, but I've only seen this suggestion once.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

If you put the car in 2nd and start from a dead stop its going to start in first. If you leave in in 2nd will it shift into 2nd? COuld be possible that a shift solenoid is bad but I doubt it.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Matt sorry to hear that things are not going so well right now. Wish I could help, drop me a line sometime I still owe you a ride and now seems like it might be good since your car is down. Good luck with it all.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Jeff. I'm trying to get things straightened out, but damn I don't know what the hell is wrong. How did everything go with the dyno? Anyways, I'd love to take you up on that offer right now, but my brother is in Hawaii and I'm picking up the slack at work. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Z'mnypit: The car will not shift into 2nd even if I start from 2nd. If the shift solenoid is bad I'd be throwing an SES light right?

Also, is it possible that this MAP sensor code (P0106) is causing the trans to act up? I've heard this before in another thread, but don't know how accurate it is.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Mine never threw a code when my TC lock up solenoid went out. I dont really see the map sensor causing you to lose 2nd gear. Ok, when your in 3rd or drive and going do the road & pull it into 2nd does it just rev? If so then the trans is more than likely screwed.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Mine never threw a code when my TC lock up solenoid went out. I dont really see the map sensor causing you to lose 2nd gear. Ok, when your in 3rd or drive and going do the road & pull it into 2nd does it just rev? If so then the trans is more than likely screwed.
Yup, that's exactly what it does
Old 09-20-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Z'mnypit: I noticed from another thread that you recommend a Rossler 4l60e. If you don't mind my asking, what "level" is yours and what did cost you? I don't plan on putting more than 420 ft lbs to the wheels, what else would you recommend? I'm looking at the Maximum Evil trans from Speed Inc.