Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF did I do?

Hey everyone. I circulated all the fluid through the gears with my new stall (3800) and it felt alright driving yesterday, seemed like things needed to break in/settle in a little, but nothing too bad. Today I went to drive the car for a little bit. As always, it took higher revs/more gas to get it moving, but once i hit the top of the gear, i felt a rattling under my center console and it was pretty loud. It only happened in drive, not reverse. I'm thinking either my tranny mount is messed up, or maybe it could have to do with the front torque arm mount. Any opinions? Please let me know ASAP. Thanks.
Adam
Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

TTT...Please help.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Did you install it yourself?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8banger
Hey everyone. I circulated all the fluid through the gears with my new stall (3800) and it felt alright driving yesterday, seemed like things needed to break in/settle in a little, but nothing too bad. Today I went to drive the car for a little bit. As always, it took higher revs/more gas to get it moving, but once i hit the top of the gear, i felt a rattling under my center console and it was pretty loud. It only happened in drive, not reverse. I'm thinking either my tranny mount is messed up, or maybe it could have to do with the front torque arm mount. Any opinions? Please let me know ASAP. Thanks.
Adam

I don't mean to be an ***....but if you think it might be the front torque arm mount......crawl under there and see if it's loose. Or the trans mount. You can see them much better than we can.

Now if those are tight and it's a rattling sound.......maybe a heat shield, Ypipe, or even loose converter bolts (should have some vibration also)
Old 09-27-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rufretic
Did you install it yourself?
Yes I did, but I torqued everything to spec and triple checked it all.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8banger
Yes I did, but I torqued everything to spec and triple checked it all.
Did you make sure it clicked three times when you slid the new converter on? Thats the most common mistake people make. I almost made the same mistake when I did mine but after reading about it so many times I messed around with it more and it finally clicked all the way on. I thought it was on all the way but just to make sure I just kept twisting and pushing until it snapped all the way in. Not sure if this could be your problem or not but its the only part of the whole install I thought was tricky. I would check if there is any leaking. I remember reading that if you don't get the last click, it will still drive but will cause noise/vibration, leakage and possibly more damage.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure. I checked it, and I had a few buddies over at the time who also have had experience with auto transmissions check it as well. The car isn't going anywhere right now, so I might just open it up again and check it just to be sure. I'm thinking it's torque arm related so I'll check that as well. I'm in no hurry, I mean, ****, it's almost October already, so I won't be missing out on much.