Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You R & R A 4L60E Transmission Filter...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up How Do You R & R A 4L60E Transmission Filter...?

Never seen the inside of a transmission...So....You drop the pan, clean up the huge oil spill...& then what? Where exactly is this filter hiding, that I have to change? Any tips? Thanks in advance. Gar
Old 10-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loosen all the bolts a little bit, then loosen the ones at the back all the way out and then work your way up each side. This way the pan tilts down and you get most of the fluid out. Then take the rest of the front bolts out and all the way off. I was able to make not too big of a mess. The filter isn't hiding its right there when you take the pan off. You cant miss it, a new one from advance auto was $15.
I did mine at the beginning of summer. I also put on a TCI deep pan that holds 2 extra quarts. You can do a truck pan too. My TCI has a drain plug making it a little easier the next time you do a fluid change.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your carefull you wont spill any, I would loose the back bolts first and work your way forward, alternate from side to side while working you way backward, that way the pan will drop even and you wont spill it all over the ground. Once you loose them all slightly pry the front down with a blade screw driver to get the fluid to start pouring out once that happens you can then loosen the bolts on the front more and pull the pan down a bit. Once enough fluid is out you can start to remove the front bolts and work your way back alternating from side to side. Leave a few rear bolts in and take the rest out. There should be less than a quart in the pan at this point. Now put your hand under the pan and push up as if you were going to install it. Take the last few bolts out and lower the pan strait down(should be easy as hell to do since most of the fluid is out of the pan) Like nrayome98ta said, the filter is right there, cant miss it.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Make sure you look close at the filter you take out and compaire it to the one going back in. (same height) their are different height filters for deeper pans. filter comes out with a twisting pull. (back and forth).
Old 10-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to replace the seal. The seal might be on the filter neck already but it needs to be installed first. Use a hammer and screw driver to collapse the old seal without touching the aluminum of the pump. Use a socket or 1" solid bar stock to install the new seal, then slide the filter in.
Depending on mileage and your judgement, you might get by with reusing the old seal.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Use a hammer and screw driver to collapse the old seal without touching the aluminum of the pump.
Thats a scary statement for someone who hasnt seen the seal or location. How hard is it to get the seal out without f'ing **** up? any pics of this. whats inside the trans pan is so foreign to me, but i have to change the fluid, filter, and throw on a new pan this week.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont have a picture but ill explain it..if you already have your new filter, look on the neck of it..or in the bottom of the box..it will be a little seal that goes around the neck of the filter. when you pull the pan, you will see how the filter is in there..basically its just hanging there in the pan, and its held there by the neck of the filter that presses up into the tranny. when you pull the old filter out,, look up into the passage of where the neck of the filter was..there will be the old seal (9 times out of ten) still stuck in there,..at first it may look like its not there,, but over time it gets so hot that it appears to be an actual part of the tranny passage. usually, you can get a pick or small screwderiver and pry it a little to get it started..once you get it started you can usually hammer it and it will "collapse" and you can pull the seal out..
Old 10-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Import Patrol

if you collapse it some, you can also use some needle nose to pull it out
Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up 4L60E Tranny Filter...

This is all great information fella's, just what I needed to know exactly! I love this site! Thanks, Gar
Old 10-05-2005, 06:49 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Some advice.....if you go to Advance Auto, and they sell you a PRO KING filter, make sure you get the FK 252. The one they had on the books (at least locally) for our cars was a FK324 AND IT WILL NOT FIT. I just went through this in August.
Also, if you get one from a GM dealer, it's part #24200796.
I've changed my filter/fluid 5 times now. Adding back an even 5 quarts after dropping the pan will put you spot on the right level.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Some advice.....if you go to Advance Auto, and they sell you a PRO KING filter, make sure you get the FK 252. The one they had on the books (at least locally) for our cars was a FK324 AND IT WILL NOT FIT
Exactly! I was just going to post this, but you beat me to it

Same thing happened to me when I changed my filter and purchased the new one from Advanced Auto. Got everything apart, put new filter in, went to re-install pan - pan wouldn't fit - it was hitting the filter and bottoming out before the pan flange even made it up to the tranny sealing surface. Had to climb out from under the car and take it back with me being all slimy from tranny fluid (hadn't installed my deep Derale pan with drain plug yet) and get the correct filter.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

ohhh ****.....i think i may have just run into that problem, unfortunately i wasnt taking no for an answer. i wonder what the damn filter looks like now, i dont feel like dropping the pan again.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gwj
Some advice.....if you go to Advance Auto, and they sell you a PRO KING filter, make sure you get the FK 252. The one they had on the books (at least locally) for our cars was a FK324 AND IT WILL NOT FIT.
I just went through this too, why the hell do they give you the wrong filter?

Last edited by BAT TA; 10-07-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAT TA
I just went through this too, why the hell do they give you the wrong filter?

did you take the filter back or did you, like my dumbass, keep putting it on? i dont even want to know what i fucked up. just put a derale pan on too.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Luckily I had another filter from autozone, so I just used it. I plan on taking it back and telling them off. My local advanced has really been pissing me off lately.

Quick Reply: How Do You R & R A 4L60E Transmission Filter...?