Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ratchet shifter ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ratchet shifter ????

I have a 98 z a4, with a 3600 stall and and shift kit..
I originally wanted to do a 6- speed swap, but was just doing some research on ratchet shifters, I it sounds like it could be fun, almost like driving a manual...which shifter would be the best one for me (I see people talking about all different kinds and not sure which opne to purchase).

I also wasn't fully sure how they worked, If I put it in 3 it will go into 3rd gear, and I can downshift and hold gears, and shift into them whenever I want

thanks
Old 10-01-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

First no company makes a ratchet shifter for our cars. There has been talk about getting b&m/hurst to make them for us but so far it has been a no go.. Some people on this board have modified their center console to fit a ratchet type shifter in it(looks like *** if you ask me) and others somehow managed to fit the b&m mega shifter in the stock location(looks pretty good) but they dont go into detail as to how they did it. Basically they have the shifter that was fitted for the earlier camaro/trans am center console and made it work in the newer cars with brackets and suck... No real write ups on it.. As for holding gears, you can do that now with your stock shifter since you have a shift kit. If you have a programmer i suggest you change the shift tables a bit so than you can truly shift where you want to... I do it all the time and yea its fun. If you dont reprogram to all for the shifts there will be no point in doing it.. On a side note, dont waste your time trying to shift your car at the track, you will get slower times than the computer can do it.. Just shift gears when you want to jerk around on the street. I dont do it as much anymore since i programmed the pcm, so all i have to do is mash the gas and it will go to the correct gear...
Old 10-01-2005, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

well I know they take some custom work to fit them in the console but I know that they do work on our trannieswithout a problem, so I know I can custom fab the center console to fit, cause I seen some pics.
and I have my shift points set to 6500, but I heard it messes up the tranny if you start to shift the gears your self, but I guess with the ratchet shifter it doesn't and it seems like it would be fun to bangs gears with a ratchet shifter, I just want to know exactly how they work, like if it's like driving a manual just without a clutch, and can you get better track times with it
Old 10-01-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

you wont get better track times period... They work just like your stock shifter except it ratchets meaning you wont skip a gear like you would with the stock shifter. Basically you can put the shifter in first gear and take off, when your ready to shift you litterally smack the shifter forward, it will only shift to the next gear(try that on a stock shifter and you would pass 2nd,3rd, and 4th as there are no stops in the shifter). When you want 3rd you would slam the shifter forward again and you would be in the next gear.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Is it bad for the tranny at all cause I hear of people messing up their trannies because they shift on their own???
lets say I punch it in first then shift into second before my shift point will it shift when I shift or when it reches the shift point?
if I put it in drive will I be able to drive like I normally would?
and which shifter would be the best for me
Old 10-01-2005, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

all rachet shifters do is that they prevent a guy from over shifting actually it is easier on a trans to shift by hand becuase in manual ranges you have elevated main line pressure shich equals more apply pressure te only thing is with a 4l60e you might shift to second however the trans may not shift at that exact moment because the computer doesn't want to rachet shifters are more for those with a manual valvebody which is just like a stick shift. ps B &m shifters have universal gates for all shifters meaning that if you ever install one the trans will never be fully in one position or another.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

so then are b&m rtchet shifters bad for the tranny since they don't go all the way into one position or are they harmless???

I'm sorry for all the questions, I couldn't find much info on these things
Old 07-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Default convert to a rachet shift

i would like to convert my 95 chevy 1500 automatic to a rachet shift does anyone know how much that would cost and what i would need to do it
Old 07-24-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hurst had an awesome shifter for their 97 Hurst Firebird prototype. I took one look at it and immediately called Mr. Gasket and said I wanna buy one. They said they only made one of them (for the prototype).
Attached Thumbnails ratchet shifter ????-hurst1.jpg  

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 07-27-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

I put a quicksilver in mine and it looks stock... I'll post some pics

Quick Reply: ratchet shifter ????