Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise when put in reverse and more...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise when put in reverse and more...

Hey all, im new here but a local on Z28.com and a member on LS1.com and i figured since you guys are the best with Fbody problems you were the ones to come to. Well here i go, the problem is still unknown but the symptoms are when put in reverse it wont catch and there is the most horrible noise coming from underneath as in a M6 car grinding gears but it doesnt stop grinding, the noise is coming from the transmission not the rear end. When i put it in drive you can hear whatever broke off in the tranny as i was rolling clink around every few feet. It is at Transmission Man in Valencia right now and wont get looked at til monday. Any ideas as what the problem is and what it will cost to get it fixed? Thanks guys.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you broke a planet, meaning planetary gears. I get alot of late model trucks at the shop w/ that noise. It requires trans removal. Cost?? It depends on you. you can have this repaired and put back in, or overhaul. It's not much more to rebuild since it is out and gutted anyway. We upgrade these problems w/ steel planets instead of aluminum. Oh, don't forget to get a hardened sunshell too. That's another weak link.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Ok cool thanks for the input, as soon as its fixed im selling it.