Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank SS Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yank SS Series

Has anyone had any trouble with their SS series converters. I tried to do a search and I can't seem to find any. I was gonna get a TCi but I've read about some lock up issues. Even though their customer service is top notch, I don't want to install a converter I might have to take right back out again. It might be cheaper than the Yank but fewer issues is worth the price to me.

I've been trying to make up my mind on getting a SS3200 or a SS3600. Is it true the SS series drives like a lower stall? I read the SS3600 drives like a 2800-3000 stall but with a very high effeciency. I have a 02 WS6 that I drive mostly on the weekends and a couple of track passes. I had my mind set on a SS3200 but if the series really does have better street maners and than most, I might be better off getting the SS3600.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only say what happened to me,and not bashing Yank at all!

I had a Vig3600 and ran it for 2 years,then switched to a SS4000 and ran it for about 18,000 miles and started to get lock-up issues.
Finally it would not lock-up at all anymore ,so i called Mike at Yank.
He told me to send it in and they would checked it out.

They did just that and fixed the problem(clutch for lock up chunked apart)
and did it for no charge except for shipping to them,nothing for the repair and nothing to ship it back.

Although it took them much longer than i had hoped (they lost all my info,Name,Phone #,Address. All of it) They laughed and said they knew i would finally call in if i wanted my convertor back.

That did not sit all that well with me, but they were right,and accidents do happen.
All in all, they fixed it and now i have a PT4000 with about 1500 miles on it.
So time will tell.

Not a horror story ,but some bad wrapped up in some good.

Dave
Old 10-17-2005, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes we get a few converters in that are reboxed by the shipping Co. because of oil leaking and they do some times have partial labels and have no way of knowing what they are in for.
In fact I have converters that have been there for years that I have no clue who they belong to.
The SS converter is one great converter and we have just shipped our 2000th one for the F-body cars
they are built to the 1 million clutch cycle apply test and passed with more to go!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine has been pretty good so far, but one thing I don't like is if i'm slowing down from highway speeds and hit the brakes to slow down a little and let off the brake the conveter will lock up hard when i'm just coasting.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

It's good to get some honest feedback. I had some trouble with yank a few years ago trying to order a ST3500. I waited over 2 months and never got it. I eventually cancelled my order. After a couple months of the credit not showing up on my credit card, I had to get the credit car company involved to get it back.

I believe they got some of the best converters out there but I won't buy directly from them. If I end up ordering another one, I'll order from one of the sponsors.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

I had NO problems with my order. I got mine right away, and haven' t had ANY problems. I love the converter, and have no regrets. I thought about getting a lower stall, like yourself, but after reading a lot of posts about people who went too low, and wished they went higher, I figured the 3800 would be good. Their website used to say you wanna' find a converter that stalls to about 700RPMs lower that you peak torque, for best performance, and the 3800 was just about perfect. Around town, keeping up with traffic, it sill slip to around 2500-3000RPMs, but as soon as it locks up, drives just like stock. Just get a good tune and adjust your lockup points, and you should be just fine.

I had heard about there being a few problems, some time ago, with the lockups on one of their converters, by a tranny guy in my area. It wasn' t a SS series though, and I don' t think I have found any post about problems...

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my 2800 Vig with a SS4000. I'm amazed at the driveability of the SS4000,but I have 3.73's which tend to make converters feel tighter.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:18 AM
11 Second Club

None were SS Series converters, but I'm now on my fourth Yank converter (TT2800, Y3000, ST3500, SY3500) used in two different cars (1999 Camaro SS and 2000 Corvette) and I never had a problem with any of them.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
Mine has been pretty good so far, but one thing I don't like is if i'm slowing down from highway speeds and hit the brakes to slow down a little and let off the brake the conveter will lock up hard when i'm just coasting.
You can set (or have it done) the TCC lock/unlock
vs TPS to unlock the converter ar TPS=0% if you
prefer not to "engine brake". If the clutch holds in
that no-load, no-line corner it's probably a pretty
good clutch.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
You can set (or have it done) the TCC lock/unlock
vs TPS to unlock the converter ar TPS=0% if you
prefer not to "engine brake". If the clutch holds in
that no-load, no-line corner it's probably a pretty
good clutch.
Thanks jimmyblue!! That is somewhat greek talk to me, but those are the bits of info I really need when I find someone that can do a tune for me on the streets vs a dyno tune.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna get the SS3200. I drive in alot of bumper to bumper traffic, cruise the mountains and sometimes auto cross. This should give me the best of both worlds.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAKNBLK
Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna get the SS3200. I drive in alot of bumper to bumper traffic, cruise the mountains and sometimes auto cross. This should give me the best of both worlds.
I just ordered an SS3200 myself, at a great price, from Motorsports Technology in a group purchase.
Ed
Old 10-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

I got a great price from them to : )
Old 10-18-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

I love my SS4000. Rediculous amount of kick behind it, and will spin tires at 40-50 with the mods in the sig. The only complaint I have is that anytime you hit the brake, it unlocks, and the minute you get back on the gas, it locks back up extremely hard, especially in the lock-up range (for me, 35-45 mph). Other than that it's a great converter. I've somewhat learned to juggle the gas and brake at the same time to let off the brake almost all the way while i'm on the gas, just to keep the hard jerk from happening.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TA4U2NV
I love my SS4000. Rediculous amount of kick behind it, and will spin tires at 40-50 with the mods in the sig. The only complaint I have is that anytime you hit the brake, it unlocks, and the minute you get back on the gas, it locks back up extremely hard, especially in the lock-up range (for me, 35-45 mph). Other than that it's a great converter. I've somewhat learned to juggle the gas and brake at the same time to let off the brake almost all the way while i'm on the gas, just to keep the hard jerk from happening.
Nothing wrong with your converter mate. Its your tranny program thats doing that. Converters are pretty dumb. They will lock and unlock only when commanded to by your VCM.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah I don't have any problems with my SS3800. None of that jerkiness when I apply the brakes either. Mines was tuned by TTP.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yank 3200 Here No problems had it for about 6 months now, Great converter for daily driver.Great off the line with some nittos.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
As in the previous posts, it has nothing to do with the converter. Your Transgo kit eliminated PWM, so every lock-up apply, instead of being modulated, is at full force. This is supposedly better for converter clutch, but it re-locks with a jolt when coasting down from highway speeds after braking. I've learned NOT to pump my brakes. Jimmy's fix is a great suggestion.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Yank 3200 Here No problems had it for about 6 months now, Great converter for daily driver.Great off the line with some nittos.

How is that converter off the line from an easy start? Will the car creep in gear? Thanks!
Ed