Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The M6 to TH350 swap is done!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 03:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The M6 to TH350 swap is done!!

I swapped out the M6 for a TH350. I went through 4 SPEC clutches in one year and got tired of pulling the trans and pushing a broken car around at the track.

Jay Billingsly hooked me up with his trans guy. Bob Alexander at Performance Transmission (217-935-5352) to build an A3. After a lot of discussion we decided on the 350 for a lot of reasons. The best being efficiency. Bob built a killer 350 with an aluminum drum, 26 element sprag, RMVB, T Brake, and floaters between the 2-3 clutch disks. Probably forgetting some of the parts. He did build this to handle over 1000 HP. He does a lot of work for the NMRA crowd as well as Billingsly.

The converter is a custom built unit with a 4500 stall. Speed inc did the tuning and said the converter is very efficient.

We used the Lokar 36" dipstick tube and a TCI SFI flexplate. With a 9" tailshft the Strange DS from my M6 workes fine.

The tailshaft is a work of art. Bob built a jig to mount all of the VSS stuff in the 350 tailshaft. I did need some PCM work for the speedo to be right again. It was fun for a few days to see the needle pegged in the neighborhood.

I took it yesterday to Cordova for a few runs. I swapped to a 28" tire with this swap. The fit at the rear of the wheel well is tight to say the least. I had some rubbing problems. This is why I did not beat the car too hard.

1st pass of the trailer as a 11.51 @ 118+ with an off idle launch.

2nd pass was a 11.41 @ 119+ with a 1500 rpm footbrake stall. The tires did come up about 6" or so I was told by a lot of people.

3rd pass was another 11.43 with some poor driving. I need to learn to drive again. Still looking for the clutch pedal.

I called it a day after that and seeing what the tires were doing to the bumper cover.

Not a bad day. I dropped .2 off my best, drove the car on the trailer after racing (no small feat this year) and came home.

Once I get the tires to fit, learn to drive again, and use the T Brake, I can see a very low 11 or high 10 in my future.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Restricted User

Steve, glad to hear its all done. Do you have your speedo working? If so, can you help guide to the right place I can info on how to do it with mine, I dont want to use the WSS mod to do it, rather buy a reluctor, or buy mechanical to electric adapter. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bob did mine. I have his number listed above. I think he used the VSS stuff from the SS454 truck. It works exactly like the one in my 6 speed. He modified the 9" tailhousing to accept the sensor and put the reluctor ring on the output shaft.

Jim at Speed Inc tuned the PCM to get the speedo right. The big difference is that the M6 reluctor ring has 17 teeth, The one I have has 40.