Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would happen if type-f fluid was used.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would happen if type-f fluid was used.

Just having a few issues with my car after a converter change and im going through possiable problems..
I had the converter changed a few days ago and have a few problems with the clutch locking/shuddering and wanted to know if the dumb asses could have put type-f fluid in the trans(note: im not saying they did but it has crossed my mind). What would f-type fluid do to a 4l60e..
Old 10-19-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Am by no means an authority on fluid. Wouldn't think it to be an issue as type-f fluid was used in the 4L60E prior to the availability of type-g. If f were mixed w/g, maybe there could be a foaming issue? Have you discussed with the converter sounds with the manufacturer? Good-luck.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some people like Type F. But Type F is the base
for B&M Trick Shift (old school forumla, anyway)
which put a big hurt on my TCC. Also some internal
plastic parts supposedly don't like having their
friction modified (supposed to have none). The
tolerance of your particular clutch, to Type F
is something you'd have to ask the manufacturer.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What they did was install the wrong friction material in the clutch.
PWM transmissions need a smoother engaging friction. It pulses during lock up so what you're feeling is several firm lock up pulses.
I'd install a transgo non PWM conversion, then your lock up will feel like another gear.
It even makes stock converter friction material lock up firm.
Bottom line is you need to change either the tcc friction material or convert to non PWM.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

I used F-type fluide for a short time trying to keep my stock trans from slipping. No issues accept that my 1st run of the night after a 80mile drive was my best 60' of the night (usually 1.63's) then when the trans cooled off my 60' would drop some to (1.67-1.69). Since I got tired of loosing my consistanty I switch back to Dexron III but I still mix in 1 qt of F-type. I don't recommend it & if my trans blew tomorrow I can't complain because I've been milking this trans for awhile now (completely stock trans 75k) with well over 100 runs. I do keep it cool with a big cooler & 160 stat. I've been told by one the big converter company hear that F-type is ok if you live in a warm climate, but becareful because in the winter up north it could jell? or just not flow good enough for the 4l60e? Now that I switch back to the Dexron I've been running the same 60's all night.

Sorry if I got off the subject but this is my experience with F-type..
Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the transgo shift kit and the converter locks fine its only when im driving at say 40 with the converter already locked up and i depress the gas, the trans vibrates for a second than its fine. Only does it when the converte is locked up. When its not locked up it drives fine.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

My new converter did the same thing,shuddered on slight excelleration when trying to lock up.After 100 miles it finally quit locking up all together.Converter is toast, and tranny has to come back out. Probably ruined my whole tranny inside. Oh well, price you pay for performance I guess?! Traver

Last edited by ramairws6; 06-05-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Quick Reply: What would happen if type-f fluid was used.