Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob to torque converters

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob to torque converters

Ok so I've read all of the articles I could and I basically understand how it works, but what about the feel of it? How does it differ from day to day driving from the stock converter? Is it like a race everytime you start from a stop? Im trying to understand it to see if I want to upgrade or not. I am looking for drivability but still get a nice kick in the pants when I punch it. From what I understand the stall is lower when you are not at full throttle so therefore it will feel the same as stock? unless of course you put WOT on it then it will just jump up rpms then hit it like dumping the clutch? and is this bad for the tranny? sorry im just trying to understand, noobie here when it comes to transmissions and stuff.

Last edited by imnotplutonium; 10-19-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

i dont have a stall yet, and i am also somewhat confused on the subject, but from what i have gathered, daily driving is normal and once you hit the lock speed the converter is no longer slipping
recently i got to ride in car with a cam and a 4000 stall, just taking off from the light normally everything was the same, engine didnt rev high to get moving at all
Old 10-20-2005, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

anyone have any input?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some good info in our FAQ section at www.converter.cc
Old 10-20-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

cant get the link to work, or the address for that matter
Old 10-20-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

As to what it is going to feel like from stock....
If you ever had a transmission start slipping, like when you are losing gears, this is what it feels like. It will slip to a certain point before it really pulls. The bigger the stall, the more it will slip.
One thing, however, is it will not slip completely. You will still be moving, but your car will not have a strong pull until it gets up to a certain rpm.
And with lock up converters, which is what you want, at a certain point, it will quit slipping and drive like normal. Mine does in like 3rd gear, like if I am driving around normally, it will lock up at around 45-50mph.
A torque converter is the best thing you could possibly do for an A4 IMO... It brings them so much life. You don't necessarily have to get one as big as mine, but I do love it.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

what ever you do get atleast a 3,000 stall. Anything under that is pointless. With a 3k stall you should be able to drop .4-.5 in the 1/4 mile. A 3,500-4,000 stall would see .5-.7 or more reduction in the 1/4.. A word of caution is that the higher you go in stall the less streetable it is(depending on how you feal about the converter raising the rpms you need to just move the car). I had a 3,000 stall midwest converter that was great for street driving. I upgraded to a 3,800 stall and its way looser than the 3k. I havent driven my car much with the 3,800 so i dont know how im going to like the looseness a week from now.. At first with any converter change you will notice you need to press the pedal down more to move the same speed as the stock converter. Higer stall takes more pedal etc.. If you can find someone in your area that has a 3k,3.5k and a 4k stall and drive it to see how you like it..
Old 10-20-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find someone in your area that has a 3k,3.5k and a 4k stall and drive it to see how you like it
Thats exactly what I did and that was probably the best thing you could do and it also completly sold me on the converter. I would never own another fast auto car without one. Wakes the car up and really puts it in its sweet spot. From a stop you definatly need to give more pedal but depending on how loose you stall is it may be hard to tell, wish someone had made a video when I was looking to get one but you really have to drive it to experience it. Now I don't even notice a difference and I drive my car daily and its fine. Don't hesitate go out and buy one and you won't regret it but make sure you go 3000 or more or you may end up changing it soon.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

ok, i'll try to find someone and drive it (anyone in the college station area willing to show me?)

also I really appreciate all the input guys, it seems like the stall converter is what will really make my a4 a mean machine.

one more question though, so when you are driving at say like 45-60 and then you punch it, will the pull be much better than the stock converter? like will I be able to keep up better racing from a roll?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes you will keep up better from a roll. The rpms wont lag like the stock converter will ill try and find video for you compairing a stock converter to a 3,600 stall. Watch the tach and you will see what i mean
Old 10-20-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

ok thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

here you go. watch the tach with the stock converer and notice how slow it is to rise up to 6k and when it makes the shift it drops back to 4k.. The 3,600 stall rises fast and when it shifts it doesnt drop below 5k. check them out.

http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...B&t=recent&p=3

http://video.ls1tech.com/player.aspx...9-5407103A4EB2