Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pump Removal

Old 10-21-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pump Removal

I searched and am quoting a reply from REDWS6ROCKET "easiest way is to remove pan, remove tcc solinoid the 2 10mm bolts just twist back and forth while pulling up, take out 13mm pump bolts, also don't forget to take out oring on input shaft. now take a pry bar and pop the pump loose."
Does anybody have pics of which one is the TCC solenoid? My trans is on the ground and I've removed all the pump bolts. Can I tip the transmission and set it on it's side to remove the solenoid, etc? Will it mess up the check ***** in the valvebody? And where on the pump did you pry at? On the right hand side where the little indention is?
Thanks, just trying to work on my transmission myself.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a 2001 you'll have to remove the PWM solenoid from the valve body to get to one of the tcc solenoid bolts.
Look at the pump, there is only one thing on the bottom of it held on by two bolts, it's the solenoid.

You can roll the transmission down the driveway and it won't hurt the check *****.
But you need to stand it on it's tail end to remove the pump properly.

An easy way is to drill a 2 1/4" hole in a bench, remove the tailhousing, place the tailshaft in the hole in the bench, now it's pump side up, stable and easy to work on.

Remove all the above mentioned parts and you can carefully pry on a section of pump that does not seal on anything.
There are pump pullers available but the price is usually out of the range for one time use.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
On a 2001 you'll have to remove the PWM solenoid from the valve body to get to one of the tcc solenoid bolts.
Look at the pump, there is only one thing on the bottom of it held on by two bolts, it's the solenoid.

You can roll the transmission down the driveway and it won't hurt the check *****.
But you need to stand it on it's tail end to remove the pump properly.

An easy way is to drill a 2 1/4" hole in a bench, remove the tailhousing, place the tailshaft in the hole in the bench, now it's pump side up, stable and easy to work on.

Remove all the above mentioned parts and you can carefully pry on a section of pump that does not seal on anything.
There are pump pullers available but the price is usually out of the range for one time use.
I appreciate you're response! However, I'm auto trans impaired. Does anybody have a picture as to wear the PWM solenoid is? Thanks Jxaxsxoxn!
Philip S.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

If your trans has a removeable bell housing, you need to remove it first.
Take off the pan and look at it. you cant miss it it is the only thing that looks like you can remove. it is by the front of the trans. first look then ask again if needed. you cant miss it and it is real easy to remove and put back on. be gentel prying on the pump. take your time, it will come out..
Old 10-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Banned

The dipstick hole is the red dot, the PWM solenoid is the blue dot, the TCC solenoid is the yellow dot.
Now to get the PWM solenoid out you need to remove the clip in the valve body using a pick.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

The dipstick hole is the red dot, the PWM solenoid is the blue dot, the TCC solenoid is the yellow dot.
Now to get the PWM solenoid out you need to remove the clip in the valve body using a pick.
Awesome, before you posted I took the pan, filter off etc. I located the TCC solenoid due to you telling me it's the closest one to the pump! Then located the PWM because it was in the way. However I thought I had to pull the valvebody to remove the PWM solenoid. I guess not, awesome! That's awesome you labeled everything though, but what clip are you speaking of? The one connected to the PWM solenoid?
Thanks man!
Old 10-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Banned

In the picture right above the D there is a slot in the valve body with a clip in it.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

In the picture right above the D there is a slot in the valve body with a clip in it.

Search this Thread