Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 12:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default my th400 swap

for those who may want to know.
my car was 4l60e...3.23 stock rear

1-th400....9" tailshaft
2-bmr crossmember with torque arm mount. it was designed by BMR for a short tailshaft th400 so we had to mod it a tick for the tranny mount.
3-driveshaft I used my stock driveshaft..it had to be shortened. We used the short th400 yoke....bottomed it out as far as it would go in the tranny...measured from the center of the holes in the th400 yoke where the universal joint goes to the end of the yoke on the rear end (end of the yoke on the rear is the center where the universal joint sits in the rearend yoke)
measurement was 39-3/8" with the stock rear. driveshaft guy used the measurement of 38-3/8"....you have to take off an inch so the driveshaft doesnt bottom out into the tranny. So my driveshaft length is 38-3/8" from "center to center"
4-madman dipstick....terrible..i THINK i got the wrong one...way short...mounting tab nowhere close..pretty sure its the wrong one.
5-pcm...just deleted all codes for the 4l60e that kept popping up.
6-speedo. used front wheel sensor...spliced wires together right at the pcm. The vss wires from the tranny are on pins 20 and 21...i forget which connector red or blue but i do know its the bottom connector of the pcm as it is installed in the car. The wheel sensor wires run up from the front wheel hub...by the motor wrapped in that silver tape and within 6" of the pcm so it is easy to splice those wires to the vss wires coming out of the pcm. Havent gotten the proper settings for speedo yet..it shows 4 mph slow
7-th400...i trimmed the "ears" off the bellhousing...took 5-10 minutes tops. Fits up in there now with more room than the 4l60e did. Perfect for Incon turbo guys as it is tight with that kit and the th400 gives you more room.
8-flywheel...i had a 98 flywheel....2nd set of bolt holes lined up perfect
9-converter was made to fit a ls1 by Precision so i didnt need the flywheel spacer.
10-electric kickdown...i am using a NOS WOT switch....dunno if it can handle the amperage or not...we will see if it burns up.
11-shifter-i have a regular valve body...used the stock shifter. drilled a hole in the shifter cable mount bracket right between the 2 holes in the bracket that are already there. If you hold it up to the tranny pan, you will see where it is going to mount. you just use one tranny pan bolt to mount the bracket...the one that you drill. The cable has some adjustment so dont fret over EXACTLY where to drill the hole in the mount...just center it between the 2 existing holes.

That about covers what i can recall for the moment. My feeling is the short tailshaft th-400 MIGHT would be easier to install. The BMR crossmember would fit perfect and the driveshaft MIGHT not need to be shortened...just install the th400 yoke.
didnt fell much heavier...1st gear feels odd after having 3.06 1st in the 4l60e. With 3.23 gears it looks like i lost 2mpg on the highway.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet Jerry I need to find out total cost, so I can save up and pay u to help to do the conversion only if u want to.
Mike
Old 10-23-2005, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club

it aint hard....just have to figure out what parts you need...thats what took the most time.....m6 to a3 or a4 to a3?
Old 10-23-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cablebandit
it aint hard....just have to figure out what parts you need...thats what took the most time.....m6 to a3 or a4 to a3?
M6 to A3..
Old 10-23-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information Jerry, thanks for sharing the info.

John
Old 10-23-2005, 08:04 PM
9 Second Club

no prob.

hey i figure somebody will get something out of it.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Default ratios

Originally Posted by cablebandit
for those who may want to know.
my car was 4l60e...3.23 stock rear

1-th400....9" tailshaft
2-bmr crossmember with torque arm mount. it was designed by BMR for a short tailshaft th400 so we had to mod it a tick for the tranny mount.
3-driveshaft I used my stock driveshaft..it had to be shortened. We used the short th400 yoke....bottomed it out as far as it would go in the tranny...measured from the center of the holes in the th400 yoke where the universal joint goes to the end of the yoke on the rear end (end of the yoke on the rear is the center where the universal joint sits in the rearend yoke)
measurement was 39-3/8" with the stock rear. driveshaft guy used the measurement of 38-3/8"....you have to take off an inch so the driveshaft doesnt bottom out into the tranny. So my driveshaft length is 38-3/8" from "center to center"
4-madman dipstick....terrible..i THINK i got the wrong one...way short...mounting tab nowhere close..pretty sure its the wrong one.
5-pcm...just deleted all codes for the 4l60e that kept popping up.
6-speedo. used front wheel sensor...spliced wires together right at the pcm. The vss wires from the tranny are on pins 20 and 21...i forget which connector red or blue but i do know its the bottom connector of the pcm as it is installed in the car. The wheel sensor wires run up from the front wheel hub...by the motor wrapped in that silver tape and within 6" of the pcm so it is easy to splice those wires to the vss wires coming out of the pcm. Havent gotten the proper settings for speedo yet..it shows 4 mph slow
7-th400...i trimmed the "ears" off the bellhousing...took 5-10 minutes tops. Fits up in there now with more room than the 4l60e did. Perfect for Incon turbo guys as it is tight with that kit and the th400 gives you more room.
8-flywheel...i had a 98 flywheel....2nd set of bolt holes lined up perfect
9-converter was made to fit a ls1 by Precision so i didnt need the flywheel spacer.
10-electric kickdown...i am using a NOS WOT switch....dunno if it can handle the amperage or not...we will see if it burns up.
11-shifter-i have a regular valve body...used the stock shifter. drilled a hole in the shifter cable mount bracket right between the 2 holes in the bracket that are already there. If you hold it up to the tranny pan, you will see where it is going to mount. you just use one tranny pan bolt to mount the bracket...the one that you drill. The cable has some adjustment so dont fret over EXACTLY where to drill the hole in the mount...just center it between the 2 existing holes.

That about covers what i can recall for the moment. My feeling is the short tailshaft th-400 MIGHT would be easier to install. The BMR crossmember would fit perfect and the driveshaft MIGHT not need to be shortened...just install the th400 yoke.
didnt fell much heavier...1st gear feels odd after having 3.06 1st in the 4l60e. With 3.23 gears it looks like i lost 2mpg on the highway.
there is a 3.00 ratio for your 400 that would make it close to your 4L69
Old 10-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry, so you didnt have to swap to an M6 .bin rewrite to do this? Cool. I am waiting on my 350 Tbrake Rossler to show up, has almost all the conversion parts, Xmember, lokar d.stick (but its the shorter one, not to convenient), TC, flexplate, cooler, shifter and cable. Will need to check and make sure I get a drainplug pan, deep style. Other than that I want to get the speedo conversion parts, as I understand once you splice into the VSS you cant use both speedo and ABS! Awesome feedback on the install btw.

Charlie

Quick Reply: my th400 swap