Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 question, shifting from reverse to first kicks HARD!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TH400 question, shifting from reverse to first kicks HARD!

I have a reverse manual valve body th400, a chromemolly driveshaft, and a 12 bolt rear end. When I shift it from reverse into first, it makes a very loud bang and kicks very hard. Is this normal or is something wrong in my setup? I am not sure if the banging sound is coming from the trans or from the rear end. It basically always did this from the first day that I had the setup installed. Any way I can diagnose things? thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 01:23 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my 4l60e is like that, but my line pressure is bumped way the **** up. I am starting to thing I have a busted trans mount
Old 10-24-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
I have a reverse manual valve body th400, a chromemolly driveshaft, and a 12 bolt rear end. When I shift it from reverse into first, it makes a very loud bang and kicks very hard. Is this normal or is something wrong in my setup? I am not sure if the banging sound is coming from the trans or from the rear end. It basically always did this from the first day that I had the setup installed. Any way I can diagnose things? thanks
l think the bang is that the guy that built your trans thought you were just going to race it. l suspect that he left the center seal out of the forward clutch pack and ran it pack a little loose. that does not effect the performance just the shift into gear. if you wewe running an 8" converter you probably wouldn't notice it. good luck
Old 10-25-2005, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u-joints?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your replys. It is very possible that he didn't think that I would daily drive it, as it is a reverse manual.

How can I check if the U-joints are bad. They have about 1500 miles on them as its a new driveshaft, but prety much for the entire time the torque arm has been set and still is at a wrong pinion angle. thanks

Quick Reply: TH400 question, shifting from reverse to first kicks HARD!