Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutches locking up in my A4 ... 4l60e ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Clutches locking up in my A4 ... 4l60e ????

What would cause my A4 4l60e transmission seem all-at-once like the car's brakes are locked up? Maybe the tranny pump ... a pressure relief valve of some sort ... or the TransGo shift kit I just had professionally installed? Could something be plugged up in the tranny ... not allowing fluid to flow? Nothing's leaking and the fluid level is right where it's supposed to be.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Nobody have any suggestions? I just had a TransGo shift kit installed and it's the only thing I know of which was changed in the tranny, except, I was told a pressure valve of some sort and a couple of small plastic pieces were replaced. I have to push the accelerator nearly all the way to the floor before the car will even move. Then, it will barely go. Somebody's GOTTA' have some idea what might be wrong.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long did it run with the shift kit?
No gears work? reverse? , manual 1st? manual second? manual third?
Did they replace the plastic accumulator pistons with aluminum pistons?
Any trouble codes?

Did they take the transmission apart to install the internal stuff?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the shop just forged my motor and installed H/C and they had the transmisison out of the car ... not sure if it was disassembled, but, a comment was made that a pressure valve of some sort and a couple of 'little plastic pieces' were replaced. The guys at the shop test drove it for a total of about 10 miles. I test drive it when picking it up from the shop ... got about a half-mile from the shop and everything worked great when I got almost back to the shop, there was a red traffic light and I manually downshifted to 3rd to slow the car and just to test the shift kit work they did. It felt like there was some drag on the gears ... almost like the brakes on the car were locking down on the discs.
Then, I downshifted to 2nd and it stopped the car pretty quickly and the light turned green. I had poulle dit down into 1st and tried to pull out and no matter how hard I accelerated, it would not move ... like the brakes were locked up on the car. I had to put it in 3rd gear and accelerate REALLY hard to just get it back to the shop. When I would get it moving I heard a high-pitched whining noise.
I wish I could tell you more, but, this is all I have to go on. Whatta' you think might be the problem? The car only has 45,000 original miles on it and the tranny should be in good shape ... even though I've beat on it pretty hard.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Banned

Do you have a billet super servo with a stock band?

I would guess it's still at the shop right?

The shift kit comes with a boost valve. To install the shift kit they need to take the valve body off so they probably changed the plastic accumulators.
If they just put a shift kit in I would say they did something wrong installing it.

What did they say when you got back to the shop?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

I just have a stock tranny with a Yank SS3600 stall converter and now a TransGo shift kit. Car's still at the shop. Transmission guy wasn't there, so, they really didn't know what was wrong with the car.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First check the trans fluid level. Since you said that you manually changed gears, that would tell me that the valve body passages for manual operation were not filled with fluid(to fill the passages after you have change the fluid/removed the valve body--which they had to do to install the shift kit--you simply apply the brake and manually move the shifter to each gear like 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, and reverse. You hold each gear for 5-10 sec, this allows the passages in the valve body to fill with fluid. You then put the car in park with the motor running you recheck the trans fluid.... They might not have done this and since you changed the gears manually the valve body filled up which lowered the fluid level which would not allow you to move the car that easily. So check the fluid and let us know, there are other things that need to be done when installing a shift kit like removing torque management to allow for a hard shift..
Old 10-31-2005, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

It was test-driven by (I believe) three different folks ... the tranny guy, the engine guy, then the owner of the shop. I drove it before finalizing the bill and it drove fine for me for nearly a mile before this all-of-a-sudden happened. As soon as I limped it back into the shop, they checked the fluid level with the motor running (in Park and in Neutral) and it was good. The transmisison is behaving like it's locked up ... it's not slipping. It's like somebody's literally STOMPING on the brake when I tried to accelerate.

This prob sounds really dumb, but, is it possible something grabbed the parking brake cable and somehow engaged it from underneath? Or maybe the brakes DID somehow lock up on the car? Just a thought and probably way off base, but, that's exactly how it feels.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the 1-2 clutches are stuck together somehow
Old 10-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cablebandit
maybe the 1-2 clutches are stuck together somehow
Like a stock band with the apply pin punched through it by a billet super servo.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

DUDE I think I know what happened to your tranny. Mine did the same thing 2 weeks ago. I was slowing down to make a turn when my rear tires just locked up. I pulled into a parking lot and drove it until the 1-2 shift and the tires locked again It would move in every gear but 2nd. If I tried to move the car in 2nd it was like I had a trans brake. I had to drive it home in 1st through some side streets. When they opened the trans up they found a broken reverse input sprague bearing race. The builder said he has never seen this condition before. Hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

That sounds about right, but, mine locks in all gears. It just eases slightly with the higher gears, 1st will hardly move the care at all. It's at the point I can't drive it in any gear ... as you say, 'like a trans brake is engaged' or something. It's still in the shop. They were supposed to call me Monday and I have not heard anything from them as of yet. I'll post when they figure it out.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If the valve body bolts were installed in the wrong positions, it will lock the gears up. I don't know if a car is driveable at all if this is done, though.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

No need for me to worry now. I just saw it disassembled today at NLP and it's destroyed. The guts of it were pushed waaaaay up into the housing. The way I have punished it, it's a wonder it lasted even the 46,000 miles that I have on the odometer. I guess something in it broke and there were chunks of metal everywhere. Here comes the FLP race tranny ... next the 12-bolt.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
No need for me to worry now. I just saw it disassembled today at NLP and it's destroyed. The guts of it were pushed waaaaay up into the housing. The way I have punished it, it's a wonder it lasted even the 46,000 miles that I have on the odometer. I guess something in it broke and there were chunks of metal everywhere. Here comes the FLP race tranny ... next the 12-bolt.
if your gonna do something do it right
Old 11-03-2005, 05:16 AM
TECH Addict

Trying to keep a positive outlook. I'm trying to contact the shop owner and get him to order me a 4l65e level 5 instead of a 4l60e level 4. With FLP, one of the tech's told me it would take 3-4 weeks. They apparently build-on-order. Maybe if I front the $650.00 core charge, I can get one already built overnighted ... anybody here know or ever bought an FLP tranny?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

I'd like to make a correction. The shop owner personally called me from the S.E.M.A. show in Vegas. Mike Noris is that kind of guy ... NLP/Norris Notorsports f***ing rules. His shop tech had told me 3-4 weeks because FLP had moved at the beginning of the year and there were some issues ... as there are ALWAYS issues when large companies change geographical locations.

I should have my new racebuilt FLP tranny in my car possibly by end-of-week. Mike, Jeff, Gary, Martin ... all the guys at NLP are a great team. They do things right.