Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I plan on getting a converter.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I plan on getting a converter.....

like said, I plan to get a torque converter (after research probebly about a 3800 probebly Fuddle)

Soon I will be getting DOT approve radials for my car and from what I hear
this means I am going to break my rear right??? No doubt about it it's going to happen??

I don't take my car to the track much but I do drive pretty "spirited" so is this true??

Also, as a sode question, I am going to get a tuine afterwards so is there any point in getting a shift kit, or is it just a waste of money in my situation??
Old 11-01-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

anybody??
Old 11-01-2005, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way you will break your rear. I know guys with stock 10 bolts who are hitting 1.6 60' times and in the high 10's/ low 11's. The only way you would break your 10 bolt is if you had real bad wheel hop. Remember with A4's you can pre-load the drivetrain so when you go wot from a dig it's not a big shock to the rear. And on street tires you'll just spin like a madman which won't break the rear either.

If you get a transmisson tune via HP tuners or ls1edit then you won't need a shift kit. You should get torque management deleted, line preasure raised a little and shift points/rev limiter raised. That'll sharpen up the shifts and you won't need a shiftkit. I still think the shift kit is the better way to get the shiftes sharpened up but it's hardly needed.

But you'll definately need a tranny cooler. B&M 24,000 is a good choice.

Have fun with the new stall and don't worry about your rear end until your running slicks and alot more HP via heads/cam, N20, ect. Just avoid wheel hop and you'll be fine.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

thanks man that's exactly what I was wonderin.
So do you think It's a good idea to get a shitft kit and a tune.... or just a waste of money?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
So do you think It's a good idea to get a shitft kit and a tune.... or just a waste of money?
deffinetly get a tune (no doubt about that) because that will halp in so many ways other than just shifting. also i would say when the tranny needs to be built or re-freshed then that is when you should ge tthe shift kit put in. also the tranny cooler is something that you have to have with a bigger converter.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
One or the other is not a waste of money. But IMO both would be. If your gonna get a tranny tune then don't bother getting a shift kit. It's kind of a catch 22. If you get the shift kit you'll be keeping torque management on and likely prolonging the life of your tranny. Most shops will recommend this route. If you get the tranny tune then you'll be deleting TM and raising line preasure which shortens the life of your tranny (just a little) but will increase performance since you'll also have raised shift points.

If you have the extra money then I would buy a transgo shift kit and pay to have it installed along with the converter. No tuning should be needed but transgo's run $120 and you'll probably pay another $100-$150 or so for installation.

Of you're on a tighter budget then I would just pay a sponsor or local f-body enthusiast (assuming you can't do it yourself) to use ls1edit or hptuner on your car to delete TM, raise line preasure (just a little) and raise shift points/rev limiter. New Era Performance did this tranny tuning for me for $40. I went with the tuning instead of shift kit because my tranny has 70K miles so when it goes I'll either go straight to a TH400 or buy a race built 4L60E (which comes with a shift kit pre-installed).

Just make sure you get the tranny cooler or your transmission will be dead inside a month. Good luck.