Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk on floor on take off

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clunk on floor on take off

I have longtubes and duel exhaust put on my car and it was working fine I didn't notice any clunking, then I went and had cats put on and now when I step on the gas from a stop theres a clunk and I can feel it on the floor board. I looked underneath the car and i don't see any of the exhaust pipeing close enough to hit the underside. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by 00'WS6Rocket; 11-04-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

the clunking that you are hearing is your tranny sometimes to do good exhaust job you have to loosen or even remove the tranny cross member. who ever did your exhaust probably did't tighten it up all the way or just in the coincidence of timing you broke your tranny mount. If the mount is busted I suggest going with a polyeurethane one the ride has a bit more vibration but it will not break again. let me know how it turns out.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

I second that, I had the exact same clunking when my A4 would shift, it turned out to be a busted tranny mount. It's a cheap fix, either go poly (which will vibrate a touch more) but will never ever break again, or get a 1LE mount if you prefer a smooother ride. I have never heard of the 1lE's breaking but people would probably opt for poly if they were getting to the point where tearing out tranny mounts was becoming commonplace.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Launching!

What you have is a broken factory rubber transmission mount, replace it with a polyurethane mount and be done with your worries...($25)
Old 11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Alright guys thanks I'll take a look under my car tomarrow and see if I notice that.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Restricted User

Wow, no one mentions the Torque Arm mount? Whats up with that? I have bent the stock clamshell for it twice, replaced the rubber bushing with a Poly and it was good. Just one more thing to check while your there.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I changed to a poly mount and now it vibrates more. (the old one did look worn with a few cracks) Now From a stand still it will vibrate longer the more harder I step on the gas. I couldn't see the torque arm mounts, I don't have ramps and I was just sliding under the car. Do you guys think that will be the next step, changing the torque arm/and mount? It wasn't vibrating till after I had the cats put on, and the guy who put them on was pushing the rest on the exhaust back so he could fit the cat in the opening, do you think this caused the problem?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

The poly mount is whats causing the vibration. If you do not like it I would just put in a stock mount and it will solve all your problems. The poly mounts do transfer alot of the drive train vibration into the body. Not as bad as a solid mount but not far off.